Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recording aircraft audio with an iPhone

Thanks for posting that, petakas. I merged it into a previous thread on the same topic.

The circuit diagram appears about 1/3 into the video:

and it is just an attenuator, but the use of the 150 ohm resistor in series with the 20k ohm one is plain nonsense! The 150 ohm one will do absolutely nothing.

This came up before a few times and here is the adaptor I used (although that is for producing a “line level” to feed a suitable recorder).

I suspect the above 1500 ohm resistor is there for a purpose and the Iphone uses that value to auto detect a specific accessory.

However: in the above-linked discussion (which is not Iphone specific) there is a comment

Most phones are not capable of accepting external audio onto a video, except from their internal mike (which is obviously useless for aircraft use)

and I wonder what has changed since then? I know I did solve this at one point with a 3rd party camera app, but I think that was on the Nokias, and it never worked on the Samsung S6 or S7 which appear to have the internal mike as the only possible sound source for the factory camera app. I never bothered to investigate this further because I don’t use the phone for video recording anyway, and have a dedicated sound recorder. Presumably the Iphone has other options, unless that circuit is just for sound recording, which is a different app altogether.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I like to have at least a little bit of airplane noise in the background. So I simply put a small mike into the earcoup of my BOSE A20. This way I get a clear recording of ATC/Intercom plus the airplane noise in the background.

LGMG Megara, Greece

It’s illegal in the UK too…

I have never heard of anybody getting done for it however, and youtube is full of this stuff. If somebody doesn’t like it they should initially complain to youtube who will take it down so you will know soon enough.

Administrator

Thanks, Peter.

Unfortunately I had to remove the 2nd clip with the ATC recordings. It’s forbidden by law (§201 StGB) in Germany to create and publish ATC recordings. So, actually, I don’t know for what I have bought these adapters if I can’t publish it. :-(

EDXQ

Muelli – your signal level may be too high, and is causing clipping.

Administrator

A question i thought of asking – while not directly related to the iPhone. When I record inflight footage with the Nflightcam (which is really a glorified Contour+ Cam) and record audio with the input jack, I always get a lot of interference from the ignition which causes a very annoying buzz on the audio.

Like here

Or here

Anyone else experiencing this on different setups?

So… I was able to test it. Have been in Friedrichshafen (EDNY) for the repair of my hot circuit breaker panel which has been fixed, btw.

Here is a beautiful clip from the sunset approach, recorded with my iPhone 5S. It’s just with the internal mike so you hear the sound of the turbine:

And here is the departure where ATC was recorded with the adapters for headset and iPhone (external mike):

EDXQ

I used it with the camera and with both Quick Voice and Voice Memos

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Hi Peter, the cable has arrived, thank you. What app did you say works best for recording the radio?

33 Posts
Sign in to add your message