Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random phone calls from the UK

The days of incoming charges in the US are loooong gone. There is no difference between mobile and landlines. Mobile numbers in the US also are geographical, e.g. mine starts with 310, which is part of the Los Angeles area codes (there are several). You take your mobile number with you in the US, I have several East Coast friends who live in L.A. but still have their old, e.g. 917 (NYC) number. In any case, I am not aware of any mobile calling plan here (US) that doesn’t include unlimited calls to any US number.

172driver wrote:

The days of incoming charges in the US are loooong gone

In general, incoming calls are taken from your call allowance the same way outgoing calls are….

In any case, I am not aware of any mobile calling plan here (US) that doesn’t include unlimited calls to any US number.

…which means indeed for unlimited US calls plans, they are gone. But they still exist at the lower end and in pre-pay, with limited minutes per month.

The reason for this is directly linked that US mobiles have a regular area code. There is no way for the caller to know whether the call is local, to a mobile, or to a mobile in a different area, so the telcos charged the (originally quite high) call cost for the mobile connection to the receiver of the call. This was especially important for the telcos since at that time, local calls were unlimited / free on most landlines, with most phone users paying for long distance outgoing calls only.

With unlimited national plans now being ubiquitous, this is less of an issue.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

But they still exist at the lower end and in pre-pay, with limited minutes per month.

Not really. At least on ATT there’s one lone prepay plan left that charges per minute, all others are unlimited. Don’t know about the other providers but imagine the situation to be similar.

43 Posts
Sign in to add your message