Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random phone calls from the UK

@Dimme
Try this
and this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netqin.mm&hl=el
There is no other way,unless you change the number but even that,they may allways find you and charge “dirty talking” randomly.

Last Edited by MedFlyer at 06 Mar 16:11
LGGG

They probably have access to some API that allows them to generate random numbers for every new phone call. I really don’t understand their business plan behind the call-and-hang-up strategy.

I just hope one day they make a mistake and display some number that traces back to them. Not that I will be able to do anything… or the police will ever care to investigate.

ESME, ESMS

Thanks @MedFlyer but I already have a way of blocking them. The problem is they make a new number every time.

ESME, ESMS

They probably have access to some API that allows them to generate random numbers for every new phone call

Yeah… it’s called “VOIP”

The trick is in finding a VOIP service that actually works. I use Localphone which, ahem, sometimes works.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here in the US ‘robocalls’ are a nuisance, but there’s usually someone on the line who tries to sell you something, even if that ‘someone’ may well be a machine. What’s the business model for these calls where they hang up? Can anyone explain? I’m curious.

If I answer “##### ######”, my number, the phone is usually put down silent, but if I say “Hello” I often get a human trying to extract information, or to help me fix my computer. After replying “Chan eill fhios agam” to everything, he said he was “reporting me to a local politician for insulting a Microsoft technician”, and ended the call.
(Gaelic for" I don’t know".)
Some calls have an automated “goodbye” after a period of silence.
They might be collecting background sound?.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The business model, for those who were wondering, is to have the call centre agents busy as close to 100% of the time as possible. The robo-caller is preemptively calling in anticipation of an agent becoming or being available. Perhaps an agent is expected to become free in 10 seconds time, it might dial 10 numbers – the first person to answer is connected to the agent as they become free, which, by the time the call is answered by you, is probably almost immediately. If the agent does not become free as expected or no agent is available, you get silence.

EGTT, The London FIR

@Finners I understand that for the ‘live’ callers in the US (btw, I also had that occasionally when I lived in the UK), but in the case of @Dimme it seems they don’t bother but hang up as he never appears to be connected.

I get connected when I answer, or so it seems. I never tell them my name, or anything. I just say “Hello”. Some time they hang up as I say “Hello” and some times afterwards. It seems they don’t care what I say, or maybe they are seeking silence?

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

It seems they don’t care what I say, or maybe they are seeking silence?

Aren’t we all? It’s the ultimate luxury in today’s world……

Sign in to add your message