Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying videos thread

Landing at Scotland’s newest international airport:

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
…and Corlier altiport (LFJD) a very well-maintained grass runway, open to all microlights, and GA with mountain qualification:

They have a “rassemblement” at the beginning of July:

@Jacko where is Glenshamrock? Google didn’t turn anything up and it’s not on the charts (yet!)

Andreas IOM

It’s just north of Cumnock, on the edge of the Prestwick zone. Belongs to a very sensible Pitts driver, if you can believe that God ever made such a creature…

Here is a really boring 1hr video

I did it to test a new installation of the Vegas Pro 13 editor, which crashes when GPU acceleration is enabled. Not that it makes much difference anyway – with an i7-970 CPU it helps a few % at most. Render time 3hrs i.e. 3x slower than real time. The camera lens distortion was fairly reasonably corrected with NewblueFX Lens Correction.

Original video was 50mbits/sec; Vimeo downsamples it to about 10% of that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Departure from Mali Losinj LDLO

Practicing my crappy video editing skills

The video is 720P, not 1080P.

Administrator

It’s just so beautiful there!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

And here is the arrival at LDLO – again 720P

Administrator

Here is the full video of that flight, reduced to 32 minutes

I did not want to cut out any more because I left in most of the ATC interaction, for the benefit of someone training towards an IR, or having an IR and wanting to use it properly in Europe.

This video was done in two passes.
The first was to render the timecode in the corner, over the entire 5hr+ video. Other image related stuff (contrast, colour correction, lens correction, camera tilt correction of 1.6 degrees) were rendered on that job too, but were done before the timecode, to prevent that getting distorted.
The first render took 50 hours, on an i7-970 3GHz 6-core win7-64 machine. The generated file was as close as possible to the camera format (1080P 50FPS AVC 25mbits/sec) and was 45GB.
The second involved removing unwanted footage (the great majority of any flying video), cutting out remaining unwanted sound track (which, having been done with a separate mp3 recorder connected to the intercom, obviously included cockpit conversation) and adding subtitles.
The second render was much faster at 2 hours and generated a 4GB file. The output size was 720P not 1080P because the lens corrections (which inevitably involve cropping) would obviously involve pixel replication if generating 1080P again.
Also Vimeo wastes a lot of quality, downsampling everything to about 5mbits/sec. And finally many computers cannot play 1080P smoothly.

Administrator

That’s a wonderful video Peter….and a great advert for doing an IR. Thanks for sharing.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message