Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Questions about PA28 Turbo Arrow III

…and I’m crusing around 133 at FL100 burning less than 8 GPH all day, with Best Economy settings (assume that is less than 65%). 18 minutes to get there. NA Arrow.

What is the benefits Turbo Arrow to NA Arrow, if not more speed in real life?

I guess we are not comparing apples to apples here…

ESOW, Sweden

The TAIII take around 8-9 minutes to FL80 so it climb faster.

We had 150-160kt GS, not sure of IAS but it was a pretty calm day, and we flew in all directions more or less.
But not sure if we had 75% or 65%, I guess 75% since the owner said he liked to fly it with speed and ROP.

But if the cylinders would wear out faster, already after 500-600h then there are better planes instead.

That’s why I also look at Mooney Ovation, Mooney 201 and 252, and if a nice Beech F33A will appear.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

We had 150-160kt GS, not sure of IAS

What was the TAS?

If your idea with the plane involves long (like Scandinavia to Mediterranean) flights around Europe, aim for something capable of 160kts POH TAS (which means honest 150kts TAS in reality).

The low budget (<150k) option is a Beech Debonair. MOGAS, FL150, 150 kts TAS. Sure, an Arrow is always nice, but a bit slower and the early models have lower range.

For anything other than flexible IFR in VMC flying, some form of anti icing is highly recommended. Plenty of input here https://peter2000.co.uk/aviation/tops/index.html

This puts you into 250-350k territory, but I’d rather spend 300k on a 2005 SR22 for european IFR touring than on a 90‘s Mooney. Just my subjective view, you can’t go wrong with an early model SR22 with TKS. Especially if family/wife/kids are coming along once in a while.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Cylinders are „consumables“ on all Turbo planes, it seems.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I managed to find a picture I took that day up with the TAIII

IAS=141kt
GS=158kt

Sadly I can’t see the MP clearly, guessing 28-29 and RPM not sure, since it’s blocked.

- – - -

That’s why I’m also thinking of an Mooney Ovation 2 where you have IAS 180kt….

But we’ll see what comes up on Plane Check further on, and if prices will come down or not.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Use TAS to compare, makes more sense.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 07 Oct 22:06
always learning
LO__, Austria

TRUE AIRSPEED is indicated airspeed + 2% each 1,000FT
Example 100 Kts indicated at 5,000FT is 100 + 2% x 5 = 110 Kts TAS. (Caution over Vne)

Then IAS 141 = TAS 161KT

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Are you sure you really need that speed? 180kts and Ovation will prevent you from landing at short grass strips like 400-500m which are often very beautiful GA places.

Last Edited by Raven at 08 Oct 07:11
Poland

The biggest speed mod is …. range

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Raven wrote:

Are you sure you really need that speed? 180kts and Ovation will prevent you from landing at short grass strips like 400-500m which are often very beautiful GA places.

That’s one of the few drawbacks of an Ovation… that it can’t land/start everywhere.
When I flew on some weeks ago, I think I’ve landed it not more than 600m, probably much less.
But we had strong headwind.

Peter wrote:

The biggest speed mod is …. range

That is correct, better range, saves time…

ESMS, ESML, Sweden
Sign in to add your message