Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PR1221 sealant (TKS installation) - also CS3201 and CS3204

I am just posting this for amusement.

I tried to get the black PRC in the UK, because it would save a good 100 quid on shipping.

A very well known supplier of aviation chemicals said they can do PR1440 in Black. They sent me the URL to their website.
No sign of it being black.
She said: definitely black.
So I got the actual PPG data sheet on PR1440. No mention of black.

Then I spotted it, in the data sheet:

Part A is Black
Part B is off white
Mixed it will be Dark Gray.

She said: yes – this is black. But after you mix it, it goes grey…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Update: I think I have found some CS3204 Black in the USA.

Administrator

I am a bit stuck on something. Does anyone have some PRC-type 2-pack sealant (PR1440 for example) which is black ?

I managed to buy some CS3204 BLACK from CAV, 2 sempacks, and we did most of the TKS installation fillets with it, but I need one more pack to do a few feet and CAV have stopped meaningful communications on this topic.

Nobody in the UK seems to stock it.

Administrator

There are always equivelants that will do the job just as good as any mil-spec certified paint.

Does any paint “bond” to sealant? Not really. There are adhesion promoters but I will argue it is the process that helps the longetivity of the paint adhesion. As long as you isolate the area before and aft of the sealant line, scuff the area really well and make sure its clean, the coating will last. It will eventually fail and come off. That is just the nature of it. With all the flexing, temprature changes and envirmental exposures, it will start to erode off.

I spoke to Akzo-Nobel and they don’t do any of those smaller packages. Their UK disti Pexa don’t get involved in it either. The moment one says one wants less than the two gallons, everybody loses interest

This also tells me pretty clearly that none of the GA TKS installers bother with any of this. Only the production TKS installers (Cirrus and Diamond basically, in light GA) do the lacquer. The rest seem to leave the fillet unprotected from UV.

However “polyurethane” is a dead common paint system so I wonder what is special about the ECL-G-7 etc. For example I have some MAPAERO 2-pack polyurethane lacquer which Socata use; probably this stuff. It is really tough. The only Q is whether it will adhere to the CS3204. I suppose one could do a test…

Administrator

Akzo-nobel and it’s distributors are able to make aerosal cans using most polyurethane paints. There is a seal you brake from the bottom which activates the paints.

Back when I ran a composite shop for an airline, I used them quite often. The spray nozzle was adjustable to change spray pattern and everything. Quite fancy… But they helped quite a bit for RON applications.

I used this clear coat often and had them in aerosal cans. Its out there, I can’t lead you to any suppliers but I am sure you can find it. If not, the amount of money you you spend on shipping from the states will still be far cheaper than buying a hole gallon kit.

I would have no issue spraying the clearcoats mentioned over CS3204 sealant.

@NeumannJ it looks like I will not be able to get the CS3201 sealant over here. The 20-30 year old TKS STC does not call it up anyway…

I have the 3204 (15 sempacks) so will have to use that for the final sealing bead, and then apply the lacquer. Can the lacquer be used over CS3204 too?

The lacquer appears to be a PPG CA8800/B900 if you want the clear one. 4 USG pack

The prevailing wisdom here in the land where you can’t get anything the UK is that we should use 3204 for the edges too, which leaves just the lacquer to locate, and apparently there is a number of these made by PPG competitors.

There is a long history to all this, with PPG having become “too powerful” in the USA and the US Govt encouraging smaller companies to make equivalents.

There is an alternative lacquer from AKZO-NOBEL: ECL-G-7 and the catalyst is PC-233. The stuff comes in 1 USG packsize each, and the price is £327/£129+V. So one spends about 600 quid just on a tiny amount of lacquer and throws away the other 99.9%!

Administrator

I am not aware of a CS3201 equivalent. Also nobody in Europe seems to carry it, except on a crazy long lead time. I think I may have found a source though… whether they will actually ship and how I don’t know because this is a “hazardous material”. The CS3204 I have on order already from Spruce Germany (Sandelving).

If you just want to fill some gaps, the common PR1422 should work fine. It is a dark grey colour.

I also bought a pneumatic 6oz semkit sealant gun on Ebay for 1/4 of the price which LAS want for it (they want £500) Not surprising, because many of these things get used only once.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

3204 (or PR1422) is grey, 3201 is black, so all the “wrong” jobs will show a grey bead. Lots of those about. The “right” ones will show a black bead. The factory SR22 installs I have seen had a black bead.

Peter what PR equivalent is 3201 and where can one get it? I have a few inch long strips that need repair.

KHTO, LHTL

Thanks

Hmmm another “hazardous” material sold by the ever-present PPG which is a real bugger to buy here. I need someone in the USA who can just very casually pop a tin of it in the post

Administrator
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message