Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Porto LPPR and Vilar de Luz LPVL

OK; as posted earlier. Like Majorca, you have two airports, one has customs and no avgas, and the other has avgas and no customs So an enroute stop from non schengen cannot be avoided.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The flight from the one with customs to the one with avgas is probably about 5 min, so the en route stop can be avoided

A quick wrap up:

We used Vilar de Luz and it worked great. (At LPPR, one handler quoted 350€, the other one never replied – F.-O.).

LPVL is a fine (if not very active) airfield. Park on the western apron. The person on duty doesn’t speak a lot of English, but is very friendly and called a taxi for us. They ask you to fill out a form and will email the invoice to you (very low fees, see above).

The taxi to Porto city centre was 33€.

In Porto, we used Uber three times and, wow, that worked amazingly. Spotless cars and drivers who arrived within a minute of calling them. Prices are very low, it almost makes you feel a bit bad. Going back all the way to Vilar de Luz airfield, the total was 18€.

Re fuel: we needed a little bit to be safe, and got it from Nortavia – no problem. They are on the east side of the airfield. The only thing is that they usually only work weekdays. And as said above, the price is very high at 3.26€. We took 50 litres and paid cash.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Aug 14:35
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

We were there a few years ago and the runway was in really poor condition. Did they improve it in the meantime?

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

It was perfect.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

They did works on the runway

Wanted to share my experience about the poor professionalism of Portway in LPPR.

Decided to do this trip in Portugal and heavily educated myself on this forum. Thanks to all the comment the decision was obvious: landing in LPVL after a technical stop in LFBZ for refuelling (which by the way I highly recommend for the good service, cheap AVGAS and minimal ground time.. but that’s another story).

Unfortunately the weather deteriorated earlier than expected and due to the tight schedule of our trip I decided to divert to LPPR. I remembered about the agreement of AOPA Portugal and Portway, so in the last 30 minutes of flight I sent few emails to Portway, telling them that I was diverting to LPPR, asking for the Handling under the AOPA agreement. They replied quickly and while I was still approaching LPPR they told me that this agreement is not any-longer in service (well.. it’s dated back 2011!) and that they were sending ground personnel with price information and that I was free to accept or choose another handler when landed.

Indeed this is what happened! The ground agent told me that LPPR airport fee was 132.- EUR and Portway Handling service was 233.- EUR. With cloud base at 300 feet and no VFR conditions, even if only 5 min far from LPPR, I had no intention to go to LPVL and therefore I agreed to the total of 365.- EUR.

I decided to take also full advantage of the handling services, asking them for slot coordination, etc.

First evidences of lack of professionalism from Portway: On the departure day, after we communicated them the departure time with more than 18 hours notice, we arrived to their desk on time, 1 hour earlier than departure time. They did not even know we existed. 35 minutes lost for all the paperwork.
They brought us through the security check with two ridiculous boarding cards and although I do not speak Portuguese, being Italian, my level of understanding was enough to catch that the guard told Portway multiple times that they had to bring us through the crew gate and not the passengers. Finally we made it to the tarmac and inside the transportation van.

First stop payment of airport fees: 10 minutes waiting for Portway to release our data into the system.. multiple calls from the airport personnel and finally we were able to pay 132.- EUR.. no surprise..

Second stop, payment of Portway fees: they do not want us enter the C-office so we wait 5 minutes outside. A young and idiot guy from Portway comes with an invoice of 650.- EUR which of course I denied to pay. I told him, using not very friendly and professional words, to turn into the office and check the price they initially communicated to me.
He pretended not knowing anything about that. Luckily I kept the paper the ground agent gave me when we landed with the price tag of 230.- EUR.

It took additional 45 minutes for this young/idiot guy, his manager (a certain Mr. Louis Santo) more idiot than him to finally come to me with an invoice as initially agreed of 233.- EUR. No apologies or justification for the attempted FRAUD, no apologies for the 45 minutes lost in stupid discussion and waiting time outside on the tarmac, nothing.

Do me a favour: if you really need to crash in LPPR do NOT take Portway. Their level of professionalism is lower than what you could expect in African countries and this says a lot about them and how Portway is running his business.

As a side note, I also wrote to AOPA Portugal, no reply. Being an IAOPA member myself, I ask myself, what is AOPA doing in Portugal ? First the agreement with Portway is not valid. This link: http://www.aopa.pt/images/stories/documentos/portway_aopa.pdf local copy is outdated. Do not follow AOPA suggestions (here: http://www.aopa.pt/english ) and do not use Portway. And second, I fear I’m not the only one that Portway tried to FRAUD.. while not successful on me, how many other people paid for that stupid price ? And what is AOPA Portugal doing ? nothing.. probably it’s already time to go to beach in Algarve..

The funny thing is that for 150.- EUR you can land in Naple airport and the handling agent even offers you coffee in a VIP room. It’s true that there are two speed European countries.. the one that know how to do business and the ones that instead want to fail in doing business.

Teo
LSZE, LSZR, LSZH, Switzerland
57 Posts
Sign in to add your message