Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Porto LPPR and Vilar de Luz LPVL

oopsie! of course it had to be the Douro!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

…bridge swung alarmingly with the gusting wind…

Not sure which of the 6 bridges would swing with the wind. Possibly Ponte Luis?

@Emir In a day, suggest you can attempt to see some of this:

Regarding, Port wine, it’s not just the Brits that consume it, the Portuguese love it too (I’ve been in Porto for a year and a half). I’ve been to a few port wine tasting and it was mostly Portuguese.

@Emir, how did that go? I am thinking of going there again now that I have the Twin rating.

Emir wrote:

OmniHandling is the cheapest and I’ll go with them. JetBase is in the middle and Portway is the most expensive. All contacts can be found in AIP.

@Noe @geekyflyer

I might go to Vilar de Luz (destination: Porto city) shortly. What’s the latest on ground transport? Can you give me a number of a local taxi driver who speaks a few words of English and takes us to Porto for reasonable amount of money? Thanks,

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Couple of taxi numbers speaking English:
+351 918 506 015
+351 960 067 999
Give them a call so they give you a rough idea how much it will cost.
Uber also works in Porto, although I’ve never used it to Vilar de Luz. I’ve just put in a route Vilar de luz to Central Porto and it’s quoting 18 to 25 euros, with about 15 mins waiting time.
If I’m at the airfield on the day you arrive I’m happy to give you a lift to Porto.

Regarding the airfield, our club refuels from these guys:
http://www.skydive-maia.com/contatos.php
Again, give them a call to confirm costs.

Last Edited by geekyflyer at 23 Jul 11:10

Hi bosco.

Uber works well in porto. Not certain it works in LPVL but I’d think so.

FYI porto (main airport) used to do handling and parking fairly cheap IF you quote that you are an AOPA member and the following contract / “protocolo” with portway.

http://www.aopa.pt/images/stories/documentos/portway_aopa.pdf
For porto it reduces the costs of a week day stay to circa 100 Euros (but dealing with security etc might be an hassle you won’t have at LPVL) – still, if you need and ILS that’s the way to go.

I’ll send you a private hire car contact by email.

English in Portugal works much better in general than any of France / Spain / Italy etc.

Thank you very much to both of you. Very valuable.

I am not familiar with Uber yet, so might want to stick with a taxi, even if it costs a little more.
FYI, we might arrive on Saturday, 28/7, 11:30 local time or so.

Thanks also for the link to the Portway agreement. Just for the fun of it, I sent off an enquiry to their station manager now.
But yes, I mainly want to avoid LPPR not due to the costs, but due to the hassle and possible time loss. After all, taxi distances from LPVL and LPPR to the city centre are not all too different.
Also, LPPR does not have Avgas, and I probably need a little.

Viseu (LPVZ) is a good alternative for AVGAS. We used to base our PA31 there when calibrating Northern Portugal; we never seemed to be able to get any sense out of LPVL.

If you are forced to use Porto, Omni are by far the best and most friendly for light GA.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Thanks. But Viseu is wayyy too far from Porto for me.
I don’t really need to make sense out of LPVL… I just land there and go my way. PPR is not required it seems.

Funnily enough, Omni is not listed as an official handling agent in the AIP for LPPR. But their website looks much like they do the whole lot. Sent an email as well.

Omni never replied to my email I sent in July last year.

For portway, I didn’t specify the AOPA protocol on my first email, and the costs were very different. When I sent the link, the prices went down to under 100 euros.

But, as you said, hard to beat LPVL for convenience in terms of getting in and out of the airport. I’m not sure how to do it out of hours though, it is fenced.

geekyflyer might correct me, but circuits are all done on the western side of the runway. There is frequent paradropping onto the airfield

Sign in to add your message