Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Places to visit....Suggestions!!

@eddspeter

Great ideas. I have been thinking of quimper for a while now. Both me and my partner Jackie can finish work at lunchtime on a Friday, so be in the air for about 3 pm. Quimper seem double from that aspect. It’s then really nice to have whole of Saturday to chill out and explore.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

I have been thinking of quimper for a while now.

Good choice Rob!

Here a view of the Old town of Quimper short after departure runway 10:

And two others which might influence your decision as well.

It’s a pitty that we won’t be there when you will visit the town, because due of business and because in July and August my Beech will be upgraded with an Aspen. Otherwise we would give you and Jackie a lift to some of the hot spots around.

But maybe you will come back later in the year, at the beginning of October and after Christmas we will be there for sure.

EDDS , Germany

@eddspeter
great @peter lunch photos. We might choose Quimper for our next flight, which will be weekend starting Friday 17th June. Will you be there then?

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

@Rob2701 Unfortunately not. We have been there for the last weeks and just came back to Germany one week ago. But you will enjoy it anyway. Two advices for good food. L’Epeé, brasserie with excellent kitchen, a little bit stylish, but very friedly staff. L’Ambroisie, 1 star restaurant. Both are located in the old town and you will find them on the internet.

EDDS , Germany

…and in any case you must join us in Paris for the fly-in on July 23-24.
We’re working on obtaining a special permission, special to EuroGA members, for non-Schengen flights to land (we hope) in Melun LFPM.
See related info in this post: Link

Last Edited by Nestor at 07 Jun 20:24
LFLY, France

I think I’ll throw in my usual recommendations:

Mannheim EDFM (IFR) is a good airport for Heidelberg. The city is really scenic and you can have good food there. You can reach the S-Bahn within 5 Minutes walk from your aircraft.

Speyer EDRY (VFR) is close to Mannheim. You can walk to the famous Museum and into a nice town from the airfield.

Wasserkuppe EDER (VFR) is full of aviation Heritage, especially about Gliding. The Museum is nice and the food was okay the last time I have been there. Great place to go hiking, too.

Weimar EDOU (VFR) gives good access to a very historic town with good restaurants. Perhaps Erfurt EDDE (IFR) gives access to Weimar, too, but I haven’t been there, nor in Erfurt.

Nürnberg EDDN (IFR) is close to a nice historic town with good Franconian food and beer.

Borkum EDWR, Juist EDWJ, Norderney EDWY, Baltrum EDWZ, Langeroog EDWL and Wangerooge EDWG are classic destinations for many german pilots. Each of them has his own favourite. In Juist you are at the beach within a couple minutes walking distance, Wangerooge and Baltrum have the town very close to the airport. Baltrum has 360 meters runway, so depending on the aircraft it can get interesting. All airports are VFR and you can’t get fuel, but there are a couple nice airports on the mainland to refuel, Leer EDWF for instance has cheap fuel. I think the coast is very scenic and you can have very nice extended walks along the beaches.

Flensburg EDXF (VFR) is close to the city and you can have great meals, especially at the Fischperle at the Harbour. Flensburg is a great GA airport, just with a tad expensive fuel. Most pilots stop in Husum EDXJ for fuel. Flensburg has some nice events in the harbour.

Stauning EKVJ (IFR) has a nice aviation museum at the airfield. There is a nice long beach and much water sports, especially in the Rinkobing Fjord. The Rinkobing Jazz Festival is nice, and of course, the annual Stauning Fly In.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

This weekend coming we are planning to go to Le Touquet for the weekend, so if anyone fancies a meet up let me know. In mid July we are planning a week away. Initial thought are Guernsey (EGJB) overnight stop on the Friday and pick up cheap fuel – Biarritz (LFBZ) – Cosrsica (LFKC) – Annecy (LFLP) – EGBE (home)

Does anyone have any recent experience with destinations? any tips/advice would be most welcome or alternates if these prove to be troublesome.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

At Biarritz, it is almost impossible to get parking in the summer. They have a huge apron, but only three (!) parking positions for light and even these are often “reserved”. A piece of Italy in France, so to speak. They really don’t want visiting light GA. A terrible place; very unusual for France.

Unfortunately, if you want to go to Biarritz, there is no alternative nearby.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco,

The place we actually want to visit is St. Jean-de-Luz, which is in between Biarritz and San Sebastian. So Biarritz is not important, though I was put off by San Sebastian as I understand its mandatory handling by Iberia.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

As AIioth mentions, the Scottish western and northern isles are spectacular….no passport required!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message