Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ZD Zongshen Rotax Clone

LeSving wrote:

Patents only lasts for 20 years. After that anyone can copy it.

Well, there are ways to extend protection to at least another 20 years. It’s not easy and needs a lot of insight to get this done but it is possible. So maybe they at Rotax didn’t have good counsel

Germany

UdoR wrote:

So maybe they at Rotax didn’t have good counsel

I’m scratching my head thinking about any patents Rotax could have on the 912 at all. What could that possibly be? “Engine for light aircraft using 2 Bing carburetors” ? Anyone knows? The iS and 915/916 possibly, but that would be software related, and why would they disclose that if they had any ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I’m scratching my head thinking about any patents Rotax could have on the 912 at all

Just made a brief look in the European Register, and yes, Rotax does have several also very recent patents on aircraft propulsion systems. So they seem to have appropriate counsel. Making it (for me) more interesting to what will come out of this.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

Making it (for me) more interesting to what will come out of this.

The 912 is already 40 years old, it’s ancient. What Rotax should do now is to design a smaller/lighter DeltaHawk. Two stroke diesel running on Jet/SAF is (perhaps) the future

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve heard rumors that they’ll come up with a fuel injected non turbo engine in the 120 hp region next year…

EDLE

Who? what? diesel?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message