Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ZD Zongshen Rotax Clone

I have heard more and more about it. So far only good things.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Well it really looks like a Rotax. Would be interesting if there were any patents involved.

If not: the Rotax prices are going higher and higher, so any competition would be welcome..

Germany

Sure, I’d trust my life to a Chinese rip-off of unknown quality, origin, or anything else. No worries.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

Sure, I’d trust my life to a Chinese rip-off of unknown quality, origin, or anything else. No worries.

:) Shouldn’t it be: Sure, I’d trust my life to a certified Chinese rip-off of unknown quality, origin, or anything else. No worries.

EGTR

UdoR wrote:

Would be interesting if there were any patents involved.

Patents only lasts for 20 years. After that anyone can copy it. Think of all the Lycoming clones, like these Continental engines. A Chinese clone as well in every sense of the word.

Either it is good quality, or it isn’t. Rumors say they are exactly as Rotax, same quality, and the same problems with the “Bing” carburetors It’s a big engine/racing/MC company cooperating with Harley Davidson and Piaggio.

As good as a Rotax? probably. Cheaper than a Rotax? for the time being at least.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Many years since I last had to look into this but a copyright can last a lot longer than a patent. Whether this helps I don’t know. The “east” always copied everything they could and it mattered only with export to the “west”. Domestically, nobody cares.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How about Customer Support, spares etc?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Either it is good quality, or it isn’t.

Photos of oil tank welds and fuel pump flange goop from the web indicate typical Chinese quality. Somebody needs a TIG lesson or two.

I wouldn’t buy a Rotax-style built up needle roller bearing crankshaft assembly from China, for any manned vehicle. And on a simpler level Chinese carb jets are renowned for being useless, due to rough and mis-sized orifices. I have heard of Bing-style Chinese CV carbs being OK when bought from the right supplier, mostly. I believe Jabiru engines (which do not a have a wonderful quality record mind you) switched from Bing to Chinese carbs successfully.

Piaggio sources scooter engines from Zongshen, but makes their own larger engines. Companies like e.g. BMW source Rotax-copy engines from China for their low spec bikes, but IIRC BMW also sources their next level higher quality engines from Taiwan. I imagine none of the above is by chance.

I imagine the main market for these particular engines is as drone replacement engines, sold for use by governments who have trouble buying them elsewhere.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Apr 18:27

Silvaire wrote:

Photos of oil tank welds and fuel pump flange goop from the web indicate typical Chinese quality.

I have received weldments from the USA that are worse

aart wrote:

How about Customer Support, spares etc?

Same as Rotax. You can use Rotax parts if you want. The guarantee is 3 years or 500 h.

Only time will tell how these engines really hold up. They are still way too new. They are used in Chinese drones, probably a whole bunch. But that doesn’t really count, because the military can chose to replace the entire engine after 3-400h for all we know.

People are skeptical for lots of reasons, not to mention “the Internet” , but rumors say they are just OK. No more or less problems than Rotax. If they continue to do that, Rotax will have to do something with their pricing for sure.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What price are they? You can get an overhauled Rotax 912 for around €13000. New IIRC circa €25000.

France
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message