Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying an RV-8 registered in UK with an ICAO licence in Europe?

Hello

I am Swiss with an ICAO/EASA PPL(A) and SEP(land) with Aerobatic and Night and medical 2 and language proficiency 5 and radiotelephoy, all EASA/ICAO and current.

I own an RV-8 registered in the UK as a non-part 21 aircraft.

Apparently, based on ANO article 150, I can fly the aircraft within UK airspace with my EASA licence: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/765/article/150

Can I fly this aircraft with my license also in European countries and Switzerland?

Thanks!!!

Switzerland

I might have found some answers on the EASA Community Network.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Better news, which you prob99 knew about, for the airplane itself

As taken from Foreign aircraft that belong to special categories

Furthermore, in application of ECAC Recommendation INT S/11-1 dated June 1980, no permit is required for entry into Switzerland for home-built aircraft that have been registered in ECAC states. However, this principle does not automatically apply to every type of operation. For example, in Switzerland foreign home-built light aircraft are not permitted to carry out flights in accordance with VFR Night and IFR unless they meet the respective Swiss requirements.

UK having signed the ECAC agreement makes you good for this part of the deal.

Last Edited by Dan at 08 Mar 07:48
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Hugo66 wrote:

Can I fly this aircraft with my license also in European countries and Switzerland?

No problem in Norway, Sweden, Finland or Denmark.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks, Dan and LeSving!

I looked into: https://www.easa.europa.eu/community/topics/aircraft-uk-registration-g

Unfortunately, if I understand this well, they don’t address non-part 21 homebuilt aircraft, which are different (see UK article 150 of ANO in my post above).

Great to know that I will be able to fly up North ;)

Suspense is still ON. A suivre…

Switzerland

Hugo66 wrote:

Suspense is still ON.

Doesn’t that ANO 150 give you the right to fly a UK registered non-part 21 aircraft, period. It doesn’t say where you can, or cannot, fly ?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Doesn’t that ANO 150 give you the right to fly a UK registered non-part 21 aircraft, period. It doesn’t say where you can, or cannot, fly ?

I think they say that you can fly non-Part-21 in the UK, elswhere it would be your problem… Provided you have a UK license and the aircraft is G-reg. If your license is non-UK, then you cannot fly a G-reg anywhere, at least how I understood the UK ANO & transition docs etc.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

I think they say that you can fly non-Part-21 in the UK, elswhere it would be your problem

I can’t for the life of me see where it says that? All it say is you can fly this aircraft. That’s all the permission you need. Now. can you fly a UK registered homebuilt in Norway? Yes. Yes because the Norway CAA has said so in the AIP.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Everything not prohibited is permitted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d strongly suggest asking UK CAA.

EGTR
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message