Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Conway Viper

It was already moving when the video started.

The poster confirmed it doesn’t exist elsewhere.

I’ve recaptured it, this time from a full screen version, also poor quality but slightly better.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you Peter.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Looks quite stable in initial climb! Now I’m intrigued

Switzerland

My guess is that it flies very rarely. Maybe even just that one flight?

The owner listed on G-INFO lives a long way away.

This comes up a lot when people ask me for help with a prebuy. First thing I do is google for the reg. If nothing comes up, then it probably doesn’t fly much.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The vast majority of homebuilders (of anything) totally avoid Mode S, for obvious reasons, all over Europe.

I don’t think that’s true even in the UK, and certainly not in the RV community. All I see and hear in the UK RV community is of more and more comprehensive IFR & glass setups, even if that’s a big divergence from what the aircraft were designed for. A Mode S transponder (with -ES) is pretty basic in this scenario. Certainly mine will have a transponder, if it ever flies.

Sure if you’re building some wooden open-cockpit plane then you’re probably not going to put a transponder in, but this more likely because of weight / space / power than being scared of the CAA.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

The vast majority of homebuilders (of anything) totally avoid Mode S, for obvious reasons, all over Europe.

I would also disagree, most homebuilts have Mode S, ADSB out etc… I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t have a transponder, even a friend who’s building a single seat microlight is installing mode S.

United Kingdom

It is affected by many factors. Various previous threads – example.

It is heavily “cultural”. For example in the UK, most low level flying (say below 1500ft) is definitely either non-txp or Mode A only and this is obvious if you fly around with a TCAS1 system and “connect” what you see out of the window and what you see displayed. Conversely almost everybody at say 3000ft and above, or VMC on top, is Mode C/S, and this is a big factor if you fly a lot in IMC. The reason for this is to not get busted for airspace – the legacy of the crazy CAA/NATS policy. And certain countries have communities of uncertified aircraft which for obscure reasons have been illegal for decades and they take great care to not show up on FR24 etc. In a number of countries large chunks of GA are simply operating below the radar as a “national tradition”. Especially UL. No, I am not going to start a “war” with examples because I’ve done all this before and I know people are most unhappy about this being openly discussed. Same with threads about homebuilt international flying privileges, etc. The builders get really p1ssed off about these. Lots of posts on that too. And a lot of BS denying such and such is true, and then I have to spend my time digging up links… It merely makes people boycott the non-certified section of EuroGA.

But I can point you at this

If anyone would like to debate this, feel free, but we need a new thread, but I know from the past that there will be a lot of resistance

Bottom line is… pick a plane, and look on FR24, and if you don’t see it there, then you have exactly 2 options:

• it doesn’t fly
  • it flies without Mode S

Then you ask yourself whether the type would be expected to have Mode S. The Conway Viper, no use for it because it cannot legally fly IFR, and it would be stupid to advertise itself in Class A, wouldn’t it??? A TB20 without Mode S would be pretty well completely useless – unless the owner has posted all over the internet that he flies on the PMD

Basically same with googling on the tail number. These are all essential tools as a part of a prebuy, for working out if the seller is lying

Administrator

Graham wrote:

The vast majority of homebuilders (of anything) totally avoid Mode S, for obvious reasons, all over Europe

Graham wrote:

All I see and hear in the UK RV community is of more and more comprehensive IFR & glass setups

One doesn’t exclude the other, and my observation, as a data point, is that a lot of people do don’t transmit anything, no transponder no flam, no 866t Mhz whatsoever, no nothing
it’s clearly visible at night, lots of 600 kg class ultralights “EASA night vfr certified” flying around and transmitting absolutely nothing

Poland

Peter wrote:

Bottom line is… pick a plane, and look on FR24, and if you don’t see it there, then you have exactly 2 options:

it doesn’t fly
it flies without Mode S

You’re missing one solution Peter… and this is becoming quite popular: blocking… from FR FAQs: For security and privacy reasons information about some aircraft is limited or blocked. This includes most military aircraft and certain high profile aircraft, like Air Force One.
Actually a good friend of mine requested FR to limit his info, and the only thing he display is the aircraft type, e.g. RV-14.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

There is a number of tracking sites

I would use “FR24” generically. In fact personally I no longer use FR24 due to crap coverage. I use Flightaware. But there are others, some of which ignore requests for blocking.

Someone told me the owner of this one is in his 80s.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message