Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Conway Viper

I don’t think it flies? no online pictures of it elsewhere? it’s an exotic type that flies on pavements, I am sure some planespotters will kill to get a shot of it

There are pictures of it in Sywell for LAA including this one

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Mar 13:02
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

From FB so it must be true

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It depends on stall speed and speed limits? I have seen few trucks going at VNE in M4, so possible

Maybe it flew locally during some permit testing?

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Mar 14:09

Peter wrote:

Given the location I am not surprised that it does not have a lot of spotters which might take a pic or not… and people may well be used to seeing mil jets around so they would not be very attentive either.

Interesting concept however with those 4 small engines rather than one larger one.

This may well be a one of construction, I fail to find any others under the name Conway Viper. There is the Viper Jet which is a kit plane from the US which does have several exemplars flying, but that has one engine and a very different tail. I wonder, if this may be a reconstruction of the ViperFan, which was also done by this company but has no flying example.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 23 Mar 14:17
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Nothing on Flightaware for G-CKUS

EGTR

The last thing I would be installing on a plane which is a one-off and so far off the normal line and which can hardly leave UK airspace, is a Mode S txp

The vast majority of homebuilders (of anything) totally avoid Mode S, for obvious reasons, all over Europe.

The engine thrust versus total weight is actually excellent. I don’t have time to dig out numbers but probably similar to an F16, for 0-60 or 0-100

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The vast majority of homebuilders of anything totally avoid Mode S, for obvious reasons, all over Europe.

Maybe in the U of K… but well, we don’t have to agree, do we?
As a starter, mode S is kinda obsolete… 99% of the guys building homebuilts around here, continental Europe, are installing ADSB. The system is by far superior to mode S as a user, giving not only access to controlled airspace in the US (…), better access to ACAS in Europe, but also more info re an eventual in flight meet, as in near collision, or meeting friends for some formation flying. Reading their callsign, aircraft type, GS, track, vector, and of course different in altitude, is of great help, and a major safety asset.

The UK is notorious in having, amongst other interesting things, this no mercy policy regarding any kind of real or even supposed infringement of their sacred airspace. Yes, this will make more than one user of the British airspace wary of, well done, great safety improvement. Luckily this radical practice has no followers in Europe, and I vouch that the proportion of VFR squawks in homebuilt vs certified world is similar here.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Reading their callsign, aircraft type, GS, track, vector, and of course different in altitude, is of great help, and a major safety asset.

… and autopilot settings (if fitted, integrated and configured).

Dan wrote:

The UK is notorious in having, amongst other interesting things, this no mercy policy regarding any kind of real or even supposed infringement of their sacred airspace.

Yes, and it has already created that atmosphere of hate towards DfT+CAA+NATS. Just remember all those bad american jokes about the lawyers and substitute with DfT+CAA+NATS… you get the idea.

EGTR

The Viper may not have enough range to bust the nearest CAS

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The Viper may not have enough range to bust the nearest CAS

What about vertically? or no Mode C one fly a jet because of performance along Z-axis not XY-axis

Sign in to add your message