Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Netherlands destinations

Dear all, any suggestions for picturesque coastal destinations in the Netherlands?

All ideas gratefully received!

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

Texel and Midden Zeeland, also both have cycle hire.
Also Ameland.

My top pick would be Ameland Airport (EHAL). You can’t rent bikes at the airport, but you can in Ballum, the village across the street. When leaving the airfield go right, across the roundabout in to the village. A few hundred metres into town is ‘Nobel Fietsverhuur’, you can rent a bike with them (they allso have e-bikes, those are all you need to get around on the Island). When you continue down the street to you left again is ‘Hotel/Slijterij Nobel’, be sure to visit for lunch or diner and take a bottle of their ‘Nobeltje’ back home with you. I don’t drink it that much, although it’s nice on a winter evening with coffee. I do use it when making tiramisu instead of Marsala. You can visit the historic whaling town of Nes, I can recommend diner at the ‘Nescafe’ in Nes, they have nice food and a great selection of beers to accompany it.

The Island of Texel (EHTX) is great for a visit as well, it has the smoothest grass runway you will find in Holland. Usualy the very friendly Ed or Mike de Bruijn can help you with a courtesy car, wich you really need since the island is somewhat bigger then Ameland, take the car up to the lighthouse, the beach there is fantastic, or drive down to Den Burg (it’s the main town on the Island), if you are in to fine dining be sure to visit Bij Jef, in Den Hoorn (one well deserved Michelin star), you can book a room there too. Or you can sleep on the airfield in the Hotel there. I like to go to Ecomare (sealife aquarium/shelter) with my daughters and then visit Paal 17 for lunch. In the harbour of Oudeschild you can eat a simple but nice seafood lunch and go on a boat for some sealspotting. Golfcourse is almost across the street from the airport. If you are in to fine dining and have some more time allso visit Hotel Rebecca in De Waal.

Maybe not as picturesque, but Rotterdam is nice too! I lived in Schiedam, next to Rotterdam, for a couple of years. The old harbour is very picturesque and you can enjoy a nice simple dinner in Café Sjiek,

Be welcome and have fun!!

(A few edits to add more tips and links to websites)

Last Edited by Bobo at 29 Mar 13:28
EHTE, Netherlands

Thanks Bobo and quatrelle.

Texel and Ameland do sound great.

However I can’t believe how much controlled airspace there is around Texel – how do people get there? I thought the UK was bad! Any tips for approaching from the south? I assume any kind of transit of Schipol’s TMA is verboten? It’s huge!

jgmusic

Just fly along the coast below the Schiphol TMA and you’ll be fine, it’s scenic too! Amsterdam Info is very helpful, contact them on 124.3 Under the Schiphol TMA you need to monitor them anyway. De Kooij (EHKD) will probably clear you through it’s CTR when asked for, you’ll have a nice view of the Dutch Naval Base of Den Helder. When approaching over the IJsselmeer you’ll be met by restricted areas EHR4A/B/C. In the weekend they are not active, but ask Dutch Mil on 132.35, they are usually busy and not as helpful as their collegues in Amsterdam, but they don’t bite. When flying from EHTX to EHAL you’ll pass the Vliehors (Island of Vlieland) bombing range, if they are not throwing bombs you’ll be cleared along the islands to Ameland, also scenic.

Last Edited by Bobo at 29 Mar 14:03
EHTE, Netherlands

Wilco. < 1500’ it is then!

jgmusic

Although the MSA along the coast west of Schipol is 1600’. Hm…

They don’t make it easy do they!

jgmusic

Yes stay below 1.500 ft. The grass strips of Texel (9 out of 10) and Ameland (8 out of 10) are good even for the Mooney, but do take care on the taxiways. Parachute activity is possible on Ameland and Texel.

Last Edited by Bobo at 29 Mar 13:53
EHTE, Netherlands

jgmusic wrote:

Although the MSA along the coast west of Schipol is 1600’. Hm…
They don’t make it easy do they!

Don’t worry, it’s easy, just keep your eyes open…

EHTE, Netherlands

@ Bobo – thank you for the extra links – super helpful.

Last Edited by jgmusic at 29 Mar 13:54
jgmusic
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message