Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Netherlands destinations

If you plan on visiting EHTX, give Ed de Bruijn a call on +31 222 311267 and ask about a car, bikes will work too but there will be a fair bit off peddling involved.

Have fun!

EHTE, Netherlands

jgmusic wrote:

However I can’t believe how much controlled airspace there is around Texel – how do people get there? I thought the UK was bad! Any tips for approaching from the south? I assume any kind of transit of Schipol’s TMA is verboten? It’s huge!

As said before, don’t be intimidated by the huge amount of class alpha airspace in The Netherlands. The route along the coast is very scenic and no problem at all as long as you stay below 1500’. Transiting the TMA however is a big no-no.
If the weather is good you could ask for a crossing of the EHAM CTR, most of the time the local ATC is very cooperative. The last time I did it, they let me make a 360 around the main tower at 500’.

A transit of the EHKD CTR along the coast to the north is generally a no-brainer. Only if EHR8 is active they won’t let you follow the coast, but in that case you can transit along the published VFR-routes.

When flying from Texel to Ameland you have to pass EHR4. Most of the times Dutch Mil will accommodate a transit. You can try to contact local area control on 122.1 Mhz (callsign: Cornfield) if the area is active. They will sometimes allow a transit, allowing you to enjoy the view of low flying military planes. Off course this won’t be the case if bombing is in progress.

Enjoy your flight!

Thank you PapaBravo and Bobo – what excellent advice! Maybe you could publish a guide to flying GA in the Netherlands?!

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message