Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need to fly to Budapest Any suggesting for Airfields to use ?

Btw, I found one recent (one year old) video of Cessna 182 landing at Budaörs:

It might give you impression on the runway state and it is also interesting as it is flown extremely low approach over supermarket parking lot (I would never do that) and at the end you can see that the guy goes inside the hangar on the aircraft power (I would never do that as well). So apart from examining LHBS runway condition it is good educational video on what not to do with an aircraft.

I am flying to Hungaroring as well but with EC120 so will probably land somewhere much closer or at least I do not care about the runway condition if landing at LHBS :-). But it seems that it has improved, it is nice and green and not that rough anymore.

LKHK, Czech Republic

I have never been to Godollo Airport, which is very close to Hungaroring so I cannot provide information on this one. I have been to Dunakeszi (LHDK) once, it is also quite close to Hungaroring. It is a glider and my only flying activity there was one winch circuit in some old Hungarian glider. It is hard to judge the runway quality based on slow speed glider landing but I would assume it is similar to Budaörs. There are also some political troubles as the local mayor fights for the property where he wants to build football arena on the airfield property so sometimes he goes mad and issue temporary flying prohibition due to various reasons and that is exactly what you want to avoid as a foreigner.

P.S. I just talked to one of my Hungarian friends and discussed the airports around Budapest. He says that the safest bet for him would be Tököl LHTL due to its hard surface runway and a very good services but it is, unfortunately, rather far away from the City and from Hungaroring. His second tip was Gödöllö as it is closest to Hungaroring but he describes it as a village or countryside airport with average, relatively short, grass runway and services, which are not adjusted for international travelers. I would definitely give them a call in advance to make sure everything works well and to avoid any nasty surprises.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Thats really being a good neighbor. I think he had an instructor with him. What happens if the engine coughs?

The advantage I see of taxing into the hangar is that it blows out all the dust and dirt.

It could have changed but last time I visited I watched I think it was a 172 land and I swear it looked like the wings were flapping up and down. I got tip tanks and it is not good to have it stressed without flying forces on it. So the less lift the more stress on unimproved surfaces.

KHTO, LHTL

My personal favourite is Tokol – also has a great warbird graveyard.

Although, according to the army guys, they are guarding reserve assets! :-)

I base my plane at LHBS. If you’re coming in a 182 you’ll be fine with the grass. As people have said, LHTL is further out, but has the hard surface.

Tököl LHTL

it will be in a Beechcraft F33A suggestions?

fly2000

I think a Beech without tips tanks should be OK. Just that the cantilever wings C177 and C210 might have a problem on a very rough surface.

KHTO, LHTL

I just don’t think LHBS is that rough a field, especially in dry weather. I don’t think any light single should have a problem there. Maybe not as smooth as some magnificent grass fields I’ve seen in Germany, but I really don’t understand the concern.

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

I don’t think any light single should have a problem there.

I think the operative word is light. There are lots of planes that operate from unimproved fields with no problem. A beech should have no problem regarding wing stresses before lift takes the load off of them. The Wing is supported by the main landing gear. Even with full tips I dont think it will bend anything with a few TO and Landings. However having the plane and instrument panel shake and vibrate cant be good for either the electronics or the wire attachments. Then there is the issue of Prop strike. I flew into Prague and that was not too bad. I was lightly loaded with 0 fuel in the Tips.

KHTO, LHTL
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message