Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Missing IFR Flight Plans

Vref wrote:

The IFR part is highly automated the VFR part less….

That’s why cross country IFR is so much simpler than VFR…

Vref wrote:

I use always use an ARO to file

While ARO normally knows the departure procedures, they may not know them for the destination (Y plan…), especially if it lies in another country. So this procedure is not guaranteed to work. I had Italy refuse me because the three telecommunication officers at Kerkyra (LGKR) forgot to address them. Fortunately the Croats were much more pragmatic…

Also, occasionally, a plan validates only with climb/descent profile data. While we know how to file climb profiles, most AROs don’t, because they apparently have computer systems from somewhere between the stone and bronze ages.

LSZK, Switzerland

RR have no idea how to file FP with VFR part, they just trust on EUROFpl to address it correctly.

I don’t know what you mean by that, but RR don’t use EuroFPL to submit their flight plans!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The addressing of the VFR part can be a pain…..I had some discussions about it with ATC in the past…..
I use always use an ARO to file (using the autorouter to validate the IFR part). I mention also that I will cross xyz airspace to pick up my IFR clearance so ATC is informed by ARO I am coming
The whole thing is not just technical its manual ATC Human Factors involved.(did the procedure controller load the VFR part FPLn into the sytem etc….. )
The IFR part is highly automated the VFR part less….

EBST

RR have no idea how to file FP with VFR part, they just trust on EUROFpl to address it correctly.
They should have read the AIP of the respective country. This can happen in Belgium too.

United Kingdom

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Amsterdam were less than complimentary about RR describing it as the worst piece of software they have ever encountered.

It seems I have been misunderstood in certain quarters. The above quote is not my opinion but merely reporting what we were told. I have no personal problem with Rocket Route or indeed any other flight planning tool. There are plenty of choices available.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I use the cranky AFPEX for all my VFR flight plans and find that they always get through. However, forced to use a local fax method at a German airport the other day because my windows laptop failed and I couldn’t get a VPN to my desktop back home, the plan went missing. Twice.

Of course a regular gotcha is to try to use DOF on a VFR flight plan and I’ve given that up in favour of filing within 24hr of departure time.

To explain: afpex is available for free to UK private pilots and gives direct AFTN access, but only runs in a downloaded Java app on a windows PC. It’s fond of re downloading itself without warning which can be problematic on a 3G connection and has a truly antediluvian interface. But the addressing seems to work and they have a truly excellent 24/7 helpline, which they need because the software is so wierd.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

@Lenthamen – yes, that was us. My mate had just ignored my advice and renewed his RR sub

@JasonC – yep – reported to RR but my chum has now vanished on holiday so it will be a few weeks before I get to hear the result.

Amsterdam were less than complimentary about RR describing it as the worst piece of software they have ever encountered. Clearly they have forgotten the issues with their own portal when that was first created

I filed Z plan from LJPZ to LDZA yesterday – 45 min before EOBT and tower was not informed about that. It’s the first time since I’ve been using Autorouter that something like happened. After 5 min they resolved the problem – it was related to Slovenian ARO rather than Autorouter or Eurocontrol.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@Peter_Mundy, did you take it up with RocketRoute?

EGTK Oxford

Maybe these incidents will persuade my chum to switch – on both occasions there was a delay of well over an hour.

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message