Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mid-air near Elstree

If the east west aircraft was outside the ATZ when the incident happened then the other aircraft must also have been outside the ATZ as well, even if it was about to leave or enter it.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

The use of transponders by both aircraft is no safe guard unless at least one of them had a service from a radar unit – or at least one of them was carrying a light aircraft TCAS system.

Does anyone know at which altitude the midair happened?

EDLE

The aircraft tracking east to west was outside the ATZ, and both aircraft had transponders and, allegedly, both were using them.

Last Edited by wsmempson at 10 Oct 09:28

Oh, and no ‘overhead joins’.

On the occasions I’ve been into Elstree (some time back) approaches were a long drag in from ‘Golf Course’ for 26 and ‘Canal Bend’ for 08.
Circuits were resticted to a couple of home based outfits, one of which has gone away.

The chances are that Farnborough would have been of little use since so many people are non-transponding so you would not get any altitude info.

one aircraft was tracking east-west

Was that aircraft inside the ATZ but not departing or arriving?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I understand it: One aircraft was approaching Elstree from the north, one aircraft was tracking east-west. The aircraft tracking east west was heading into sun, with relatively poor visibility, had two pilots on board, both looking out. They had called farnborough to get a traffic service, but were told to stand-by and were not called back, so were not in receipt of a service of any kind.

Err where does it say, anywhere, that this collision happened at Elstree and/or as part of a overhead job? I like this forum because Peter tries to stick to facts.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

Ah, the famous UK ‘overhead join’. Most idiotic way to approach an airfield.

No worse than the French overhead join, I suppose…

LFPT, LFPN
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message