Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Merits of partial glass

arj1 wrote:

But jokes aside, these days GIA-63(W) are becoming (slightly more) available due to the upgrades from G1000 to G1000 NXi – turbine-powered a/c owners are more comfortable with the cost.

I guess that is good news for many who have been waiting to get them. Just look at all the G1000 non Waas planes on planecheck…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Don’t think there are many used ones? At least when he looked there weren’t any.

It depends on when you need it, right? Usually, if you want to buy something cheaper on the aftermarket, it is unavalable! It usually shows up the next day after you paid the full price. :)
But jokes aside, these days GIA-63(W) are becoming (slightly more) available due to the upgrades from G1000 to G1000 NXi – turbine-powered a/c owners are more comfortable with the cost.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Right, brand new ones then…
Interestingly, if it was 2×GNT 750, then it would have been the same as GIA upgrade. :)

Don’t think there are many used ones? At least when he looked there weren’t any.

I also know from many Mooney owners of the 1st generation G1000 series (Ovation2/Acclaim2) that many had tremendous amounts of money asked to do the upgrade and that for a while it was not even available.

Man it is all very expensive in the certified world…

Absolutely. The power of a monopoly is simply insane.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I think about 35 k including paperwork as there were 2 units involved.

He bought two IFD’s and got about half of what he spent for the sale of his 430ties, that is how I understood it. It was a while ago, I’d have to find him and ask what the exact thing was, but that is how I remember it.

Right, brand new ones then…
Interestingly, if it was 2×GNT 750, then it would have been the same as GIA upgrade. :)
Man it is all very expensive in the certified world…

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

What was the price he was quoted? Typically I heard it is around 10-15K per unit for the upgrade GIA-63 to GIA-63(w). IFD costs around 10K per unit.

I think about 35 k including paperwork as there were 2 units involved.

He bought two IFD’s and got about half of what he spent for the sale of his 430ties, that is how I understood it. It was a while ago, I’d have to find him and ask what the exact thing was, but that is how I remember it.

In most G1000 systems there are usually standby instruments and if you have a PFD and MFD, they are interchangeable if one fails.

France

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Recently I was involved in a discussion with a guy who wanted to buy a G1000 SR22 (G3 I believe) which was non waas. When he was told the price of upgrade to WAAS during pre-buy, he dumped it in favour for an Avidyne G2 where the upgrade consisted of upgrading the GNS430’s to IFD440’s. Selling the two 430ies, he ended up with practically paying for one 440 and the antenna change, apart from the fact that the G2 was significantly cheaper to buy. .

What was the price he was quoted? Typically I heard it is around 10-15K per unit for the upgrade GIA-63 to GIA-63(w). IFD costs around 10K per unit.

But with the failure scenarios – you can use standby instruments VFR. If you want to fly IFR, I’m not sure any failure would allow you to do so.
If you want to have SOME instruments for VFR if your glass has failed, then you either add second Aspen for standby, go for two 7" G500 TXis instead of 1×10″ or use reversionary mode on G1000.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Not just the spare but also a guy from the avionics dealer to install it, entering the special dealer-only codes to make it all work again.

If you get it from your avionics shop, they should be able to do that before they ship the unit, but anyway, this does not apply to an Aspen EFD for instance, as I said, the config module is outside the main unit. Basically, a setup with GNS/GTN/IFD and an independent glass panel is easier to handle in such a case.

Graham wrote:

You don’t though, do you?

Might depend of course exactly what you’re referring to, but if in traditional six-pack you lose either your AI or your DI you are not grounded – you can fly home VFR without these.

VFR yes, IFR no. I was referring to the “glass panel” packing up, in my case that would be the Aspen. And it would depend how much in a hurry you are, if you can get a replacement unit to slide into place within a day or so, it may well be worth waiting for it. But you could certainly position to the nearest Maintenance if you have to.

Recently I was involved in a discussion with a guy who wanted to buy a G1000 SR22 (G3 I believe) which was non waas. When he was told the price of upgrade to WAAS during pre-buy, he dumped it in favour for an Avidyne G2 where the upgrade consisted of upgrading the GNS430’s to IFD440’s. Selling the two 430ies, he ended up with practically paying for one 440 and the antenna change, apart from the fact that the G2 was significantly cheaper to buy. .

Some Mooneys for instance who have G1000’s are factually impossible to upgrade to WAAS.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 13 May 20:38

@T28 a nice single axis rate based autopilot is happy just with a turn coordinator :)

Although losing pitot static might make pitch attitude a bit tricky. Nose up trim and and reasonable low cruise power should produce a stable condition.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message