Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 upgrade to WAAS/EGNOS: LPV, KAP 140, and capturing vertical path

Well done Emir.
I think it will be rather easy to install.
Upgrading the GDU is excellent side effect.
Will you report if the KAP140 actually capture GS on LPV ?

Can you say which PN you purchased ?

According to reports if fellow aviator at DAN forum, it does. Of course, I’ll post report here once I test everything.

Can you say which PN you purchased ?

011-01105-20

Last Edited by Emir at 22 Nov 21:45
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I tested everything today on several approaches and can confirm that everything works as expected KAP140 captures GS on RNP approach with LPV. Roll steering works as well. When transitioning from IAF to FAF you have to press APP on autopilot the same way when on ILS.

The only problem I noticed that autopilot is in general more “lazy” in NAV mode than it used to be before WAAS upgrade. It doesn’t command turns fast and at sufficient rate which results usually with overshooting and then correcting. I’ll see what can be fixed on this issue. In HDG mode the turns are the same as they used to be.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

The only problem I noticed that autopilot is in general more “lazy” in NAV mode than it used to be before WAAS upgrade. It doesn’t command turns fast and at sufficient rate which results usually with overshooting and then correcting. I’ll see what can be fixed on this issue. In HDG mode the turns are the same as they used to be.

Nothing new here. The mechanic checked all KAP140 settings within G1000 and even changed turn coordinator but nothing changed. It’s just that KAP140 reacts to any roll steering command with a bit of delay (2 seconds or so) and enters a turn pretty shy before reaching proper bank. Both these things lead to incorrect track when exiting the turn which is then corrected in next 3 to 5 seconds. I’m not sure where this delay is caused because annunciation of the turn on G1000 comes at the same time as before and new track is shown on time. Also, fly-by path in turns (dashed line) is drawn correctly and earlier annunciation and new track are present on time (in advance) when sharper turns are to be executed. I tried to check what’s going on when I select “direct to” within flight plan to a point previously selected during the actual turn towards it. The result is even greater error because “direct to” command causes additional 2 second of delay and then continuing the turn.

Any ideas what to check or to accept that it is what it is?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Nothing new here. The mechanic checked all KAP140 settings within G1000 and even changed turn coordinator but nothing changed. It’s just that KAP140 reacts to any roll steering command with a bit of delay (2 seconds or so) and enters a turn pretty shy before reaching proper bank. Both these things lead to incorrect track when exiting the turn which is then corrected in next 3 to 5 seconds. I’m not sure where this delay is caused because annunciation of the turn on G1000 comes at the same time as before and new track is shown on time. Also, fly-by path in turns (dashed line) is drawn correctly and earlier annunciation and new track are present on time (in advance) when sharper turns are to be executed. I tried to check what’s going on when I select “direct to” within flight plan to a point previously selected during the actual turn towards it. The result is even greater error because “direct to” command causes additional 2 second of delay and then continuing the turn.

The G1000+KAP140 aircraft my club had did not show that delay in reacting to roll steering commands. OTOH, on another aircraft a KAP140 (without roll steering) hooked up to a GTN650 is very sluggish in reacting to course deviations or changes to the heading bug.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Strange that the heading bug works poorly, given that roll steering is going to be implemented by faking a heading bug.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

The G1000+KAP140 aircraft my club had did not show that delay in reacting to roll steering commands.

Mine didn’t show it either before installing GIA63W. Does your club aircraft features GIA63W or GIA63?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Does the autopilot follow the course in heading mode? I don’t recall the KAP140 having roll steering via ARINC424 like the KFC225 does.

KUZA, United States

Peter wrote:

Strange that the heading bug works poorly, given that roll steering is going to be implemented by faking a heading bug.

The KAP140 has real roll steering from the G1000 – not a faked heading bug. The G1000 commands bank angle directly.

Emir wrote:

Mine didn’t show it either before installing GIA63W. Does your club aircraft features GIA63W or GIA63?

It had a GIA63.

Sign in to add your message