Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best combo ADS-B receiver / EFB app for VFR in Europe and US

Just received an email from uAvionix. They are pulling the plug on Mode C/S detection due to not being able to match “the high quality and integrity solutions that uAvionix has grown to embrace”.

Very sad news. It might be possible to run some sort of open source firmware on it, it’s an ESP32 after all. But that requires somebody hacking away on it and spending time.

ESME, ESMS

PocketFMS/easyVFR was going to be able to be paired to SkyEcho – has this happened or are they still in beta testing (since April 2019)?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Update the service desk guided me to connecting, you just needed to scroll down the settings menu (eye rolling). Now trying to get the box to acquire location, finding a support contact (the email form wouldn’t submit) for uAvionix needs some more research. But well done to pocketFMS for prompt reply.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Just saw that the FF Sentry is for sale in Europe now, is there any reason to choose that over the SkyEcho? (for seeing other aircraft mainly and GPS)

+ CO detector
+ AHRS
- No FLARM detection
- Only works with FF

Last Edited by Dimme at 07 Mar 21:42
ESME, ESMS

With the UK £250 grant offer extended to 30/9/2021, is there an ADS-B, out and in, which can be wired in and will link to common moving map displays, including mobile ones?
I was going to buy a Uavionix but would prefer something fixed. I decided to wait. It’ll be needed soon due to drone operations.
(Permit aircraft)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

+ CO detector
+ AHRS
- No FLARM detection
- Only works with FF

I would be curious to see how they implement the CO detector. I am working on a “upgraded” statux with a small backup ahrs screen and a CO detector, and it’s very hard to have a CO sensor that is accurate and cheap.
I am not sure there are existing ADSB out mobile devices, in the approved market.

LFMD, France

Check that whatever you buy has an onboard barometer otherwise it will not work with Sky Demon.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Dimme wrote:

+ CO detector
+ AHRS
- No FLARM detection
- Only works with FF

Now that you’ve used your SkyEcho for a while, how do you value the FLARM support if you would buy a receiver today?

Can someone comment please on the statement that “SkyEcho is NOT approved for use in the United States”. Why is it not approved? Is it just a regulatory issue or an operational one?

EDHE/LLHZ, Israel
Sign in to add your message