Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best combo ADS-B receiver / EFB app for VFR in Europe and US

@Dimme
After few months, are you still happy with the SKYECHO 2 ?

@PetitCessnaVoyageur

I’m still waiting for the infamous firmware update that will give Mode C/S proximity alerts that was supposed to come out early 2019.

All other features work fine so far, FLARM detection works, ADS-B works. However, I was not able to receive any UAT weather two days ago when I was flying over Denmark, but that was something like 130 NM from the transmitter and I was “only” at FL55.

ESME, ESMS

@Dimme
Thank you for your answer.

I read above, from @Airborne_Again, what high wing metallic shielded, in his experience, any traffic detection. How is it possible you had such different results ?

I have used it in both high and low wing aircraft.

I haven’t noticed any significant difference in ADS-B targets, but of course I see no Mode C/S targets in either case, which would be the real result, since the firmware doesn’t support it yet.

I think @Airborne_Again is referring to Mode C/S targets that the PowerFlarm can already now – technically – detect.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

I think @Airborne_Again is referring to Mode C/S targets that the PowerFlarm can already now – technically – detect.

On my trial flight in a C172 with a PowerFlarm portable, I was looking for mode C and Flarm targets. I found the reception generally poor and heavily dependent on aircraft attitude. E.g. it couldn’t detect a mode C target about 3 miles away until I banked towards it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

But that is better than nothing. Collisions usually happen in smaller distances than 3 miles. When I see ADS-B targets 1 miles away they actually look much smaller than one would expect.

ESME, ESMS

Not having azimuth on mode C is rather useless though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A sample video of SkyEcho 2 detecting FLARM somewhere over Germany:

ESME, ESMS

@Peter I don’t agree, it might let you know there is an A/C right under your wing that you cannot see.

ESME, ESMS

Ah but which wing?

Knowledge without appropriate capability to act is inherently limited

However there is no cheap solution…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message