Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPad mounts (merged thread)

Do I see this correctly – are the fans battery driven? Or what are the battery compartments for?

Biggin Hill

How hard can it be to 3D print a mount like this?

ESME, ESMS

I believe the fans are both battery-driven and rechargeable – there’s a switch to alternate from one power source to the other.

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

I think batteries for the fans there are a recipe for trouble. The fans draw something like 100mA (at 5V) and that is a lot of power. The right way is to modify the mount so it can be aircraft powered, and put in a micro USB power supply so the tablet can be aircraft powered at the same time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It can also use external power – so no need for batteries if you don‘t want them.

http://koolkatindustries.com/
Electric cooling and fans.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

@Peter,
The Guardian Avionics phone and tablet holders do exactly that, with FAA NORSEE approval.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks Jacko, the Guardian Avuonics looks interesting but I can’t get my head around how this setup works:

“Each mount has a 5/8” tapered hose / tube port built-in, allowing you to attach it to a standard avionics cooling fan. Each panel mounting tray features cooling channels to circulate air behind your iPad or iPhone to keep it cool even under the heaviest of use.”

How do the tapered hoses attach themselves to a fan and how is there space behind if it’s panel-mounted?

jgmusic

I guess the idea is to clamp a Scat hose on and somehow feed cold air to it or, instead of squandering our $$$ on groceries and rent, to invest in one of these (presumably gold-plated) fans.

The Guardian mounts seem designed to fit in or behind the panel, whereas the X-Naut and other mounts bolt on or against the panel, or on a RAM mount.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The fans are battery driven but can also be powered via a mini usb power connector (you will be pleased to know that, Peter ).

Mine arrived yesterday and looks rather good – very lightweight and quiet.

jgmusic
Sign in to add your message