Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPad mounts (merged thread)

For the last couple of years I have used a MyGoFlight Mounting Arm for holding a full-size iPad on the P2 yoke of my Piper Arrow.
Although not the cheapest Mounting Kit available, I have found it exceptionally good. I can angle it exactly as I want for vision and screen touching.
It allows me to easily charge the iPad whilst in use from the Cigarette lighter socket close by; and being on the P2 yoke it doesn’t restrict instrument vision.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I use a RAM cradle for an iPad Mini, mounted on the yoke with – depending on the airplane I fly – a 1" or 2" arm. I don’t like the window mount option, as it restricts the view too much for my taste. The RAM stuff is configurable in an almost infinite number of variations and has proved very reliable over the years.

I’ve been trying to figure out a good spot for a permanent iPad mini mount on a PA28 without success. Any ideas?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I’ve been trying to figure out a good spot for a permanent iPad mini mount on a PA28 without success. Any ideas?

I had this in mind and I have no good answer. On the PA28, I would say the yoke mount is the less intrusive because on the window mount + suction on the left, it restricts the field of view. The problems starts when you start playing with the yoke with good roll amplitude, the tablet landscape/protrait switch algorithm doesn’t really like it.
On the C172, I can mount the craddle on the left side of the windshield, and with a short arm you can mount an 8’ tablet without restricting view of yoke movement.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 21 Feb 10:01
LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

On the C172, I can mount the craddle on the left side of the windshield, and with a short arm you can mount an 8’ tablet without restricting view of yoke movement.

On a 172R, we have a permanent mount on the right side of the panel. It is of course much easier with the larger panel of a C172 compared to the PA28.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ve used this https://www.scosche.com/extra-large-magnetic-mount-for-tablets-and-other-devices on my yoke, works great, is quite discrete and holds up to an iPad Pro without issue.

Re: orientation changing when you turn the yoke, at least on iPads you can lock that.

Last Edited by denopa at 21 Feb 10:55
EGTF, LFTF

greg_mp wrote:

The problems starts when you start playing with the yoke with good roll amplitude, the tablet landscape/protrait switch algorithm doesn’t really like it.

This can be disabled by either a physical switch on older models or from the ‘Control Center’ (swipe down from top right) in newer models.

Ooops, @Denopa beat me to it

Last Edited by 172driver at 21 Feb 11:06

@Peter_G that looks like a nice bit of engineering. I am guessing the P2 yoke clamp causes no control restrictions, the same question would apply to @greg_mp set up.

I got my SkyEcho 2 so having an iPad will provide a mini MFD, and in theory on some flight apps an emergency AHRS.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@Peter_G that looks like a nice bit of engineering. I am guessing the P2 yoke clamp causes no control restrictions, the same question would apply to @greg_mp set up.

I can confirm that MyGoFlight arm fits perfectly to the yoke stem without any problems.
I got mine in the UK from Pooley’s.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message