Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anybody seeing ADS-B traffic (and ADS-B and Mode C/S traffic merging)

If you wanna borrow my Stratux to test a tablet against your airplane I’m happy to send it to you. It works great at displaying traffic 40+ miels away depending on your line of sight with airplanes and your filters. It has 1090 and 978 freqs so I’m not sure if that makes a difference on what it sees vs your setup.

"Fly the airplane"
KPAE EGSO

It looks like all my issues where due to config (I did push the shop on a deadline so it’s my fault, they got the xpder and TAS to work which was what I really wanted for the flights I’m doing this week). Thanks everyone for the info, very useful.

Another thing they got right first time was ADS-B out, thanks to which my new GS record of 300kts is independently proved by my flightaware track ;-)

EGTF, LFTF

It works!

The trend feature is very nice, and so is being able to see the call signs; will help situational awareness.

The ADS-B and TCAS traffics are merged nicely and visible on all screens (GTNs and iPads). I’ve also done a visual approach using the updated GTN software. Indistinguishable from an RNAV approach as far as the autopilot is concerned. Very useful safety feature.

The transfer of flight plans with the Flightstream 510 is very cool. I got my data fields back on the GTN as well (it’s a setting).

Only problem I still have is that the AHRS signal from the GTX345 gets lost when I’m also connected to the FS510, hopefully fixable as well.

EGTF, LFTF

The second one is really annoying: the GTN treats the GTX345 like the GTX3R5, the remote version, so you loose two super useful data fields at the top of the GTN screen for xpdr controls which are wholly useless since you have your actual transponder panel next to it.

I tend to agree; useless unless/until one of the buttons on the GTX goes T/U, then being able to control it from the touch screen could get you to the next convenient repair station.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

To clarify this is actually a setting and can be turned off.

EGTF, LFTF

Which TAS unit do you have and where does the merging of TAS and ADS-B In happen? I can imagine this is a fairly non trivial problem to solve.

I have the Avydine TAS600 and the merging is done by the GTX 345 transponder, it’s one of its features. It seems to work perfectly, even removing double targets.

EGTF, LFTF

Extremely nontrivial…

With “just TAS” you know when there are multiple targets, because you are getting the raw timing data back even if you do not have the extra Mode S stuff. If you are getting the 24 bit ID, which the Avidyne TAS boxes are believed to receive (if not display unless driving an Avidyne MFD and even then it works only for N-reg targets) then it becomes easier to be sure there is more than one, of a group on a similar azimuth.

If you are getting “just ADS-B” then it is easy enough because you are getting loads of data, as well as an accurate 3D location.

But if you are getting both, and taking the worst case of ADS-B plus a Mode C (not Mode S) radiating target, how can you combine the two reliably? TAS azimuth can be say 20 degrees out which is a few miles at the range limit. A loose formation of planes, say 2nm apart, at 10nm range, all at the same altitude and all squawking the same, would be a merging problem because a given ADS-B return could be any of them.

Is it possible (I mean legit, certification-wise) to radiate ADS-B and Mode C (not Mode S)? If you banned Mode C if ADS-B is radiated, then merging becomes easy, if ADS-B radiates the 24 bit Mode S transponder ID.

What, if any, ADS-B data is common and unique between ADS-B and Mode S? I believe there is nothing common between ADS-B and Mode C. Does ADS-B OUT radiate a copy the Mode C squawk?

So I wonder whether the combining does really work, or whether people just accept it and not question it, and it looks “ok” in most situations?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is there a remote version of the GTX 345, i.e. one that can be installed behind a GTN 750?

Pretty cool feature.

Yes, there is a remote version, the Garmin GTX 345R: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/140954

However, it seems like there is no diversity option for the GTX-345 series. As of 2020, all existing aircraft capable of flying faster than 250 KTAS are required to have a transponder installation certified for antenna diversity.

https://www.garmin.com/us/intheair/ads-b/seven-questions/

(June 7, 2020) All existing aircraft weighing greater than 5,700 kg (12,500 lbs.) or having max cruise speed greater than 250 kts TAS in European airspace need ADS‑B 1090ES “Out” with diversity.
(June 8, 2016) All new aircraft weighing greater than 5,700 kg (12,500 lbs.) or having max cruise speed greater than 250 kts TAS in European airspace need ADS‑B 1090ES “Out” with diversity.

In my view, this makes a GTX 345 illegal in a Malibu.

Sign in to add your message