Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DME - any point in having one?

Rami1988 wrote:

Do you mean DME substitution with GPS?

I think if I could install a remote box and link to to my g500txi it would be a good solution and not much risk

According to https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/612862 (in the Interfaces section), the following Bendix King devices are supported via Garmin GAD43e:
KDM 706(A), KN 62/64, KN 63

And AFAIK in some aircaft the KN63 is connected with a switch to choose between NAV1 and NAV2 (which nav radio provides the frequency).

I think if you have 43e, then you could probably fairly cheaply install KN-63. Well, if you could say “cheap” about anything aviation-related. :)

EGTR

Using GPS distance to substitute for DME is legal in the U.K. as long as the DME is in the database.

IMO this practice is unwise unless you are very familiar with your GPS navigation unit and the cockpit workload is low, there has been at least one fatal accident that DME substation seems to have played a part. In Europe multiple navigation aids have the can have the same IDENT so you have to be 100% sure that you are using the DME station, not the NDB with the same IDENT at the other end of the airfield.

I decided to go down the GAD43e / KN63 path it show DME on the G500, this does require at least one compatible NAV box to select DME frequency, the switching of the NAV box that the DME is slaved to and the hold function is done on the G500 via the GAD43e.

I do have a spare KN63 system with EASA Form 1’s for both KN 63 unit and Indicator if you are interested.!

DME display in the bottom left corner of the G500

Last Edited by A_and_C at 10 Feb 17:51

A_and_C wrote:

I do have a spare KN63 system with EASA Form 1’s for both KN 63 unit and Indicator if you are interested.!

@A_and_C, do you have to have the display to be installed as well? Or just the transceiver and connectivity to G500 via GAD43e should be enough?
Or did you leave the head to switch between NAV1/NAV2?

EGTR

I might take you up on that. Would I be able to use it on an N reg?

EGKA, United Kingdom

Not legal for any old-style instrument approach around here. It says DME required.

They won’t ask you whether you have it. But when you read in an accident report that the aircraft was not equipped with a DME albeit flying ILS/DME, then compensation might get more attention.

I have a DME installed. So I’m legally ok. If it’s better than GPS distance? Not sure.

Germany

The point is that GPS=0 is not same as DME=0 unless you take care to check that. I think it is rarely the case in reality, unless you are talking about a standalone enroute VOR/DME. See “Threads possibly related to this one” below, and other “DME” threads.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ajr 1

The KN63 needs some method to control the frequency selection, on my aircraft that is provided by the GTN650 NAV function using king serial data. Both GTN 650’s are connected to GAD43e .

The GAD43e provides the ability to switch between the frequencies selected on NAV 1 & 2 and hold, this selection along with DME data it displays on the bottom left of the G500 PFD. ( see the photo in my last post )

In non glass cockpits the DME display & control is done by a KI ??? This displays DME distance and ground speed and controls the selection between NAV 1 & 2 and hold.

I have both the KN63 & KI ??? For sale, the advantage of fitting the whole king system is price and if it is just DME you want this is the way to go. The GAD43e is quite expensive ( about £3k last time I looked ) but it provides a whole bunch of autopilot and display functionality that illuminates the need for spinning gyros, links remote indicators and presents marker lights on the PFD, I can also supply a GAD43e ( subject to a few conditions) but will have to check the current price.

UdoR wrote:

Not legal for any old-style instrument approach around here. It says DME required.

I think that the rules for GPS substitution in part-NCO would trump any notes on the approach plates. And part-NCO does allow substitution for DME in some (unusual) circumstances. Also, the GPS substitution rules are in an AMC and under part-NCO, you can make your own AltMoCs.

That said, I agree that substituting GPS for DME is not something to be taken lightly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Rami1988 wrote:

NDB/ADF seems pointless but what about DME?

NDB/DME must be the 2nd most available approach in the UK. I’m not saying it should be but it is and I fly them all the time.

I love DME its so simple and for the sake of safety I would just put one in even in a GPS equipped aircraft.

I combine mine with a VOR and it gives me Localizer only/DME approaches which give more than enough minima for me in my PA28.

Last Edited by Bathman at 11 Feb 09:08

A_and_C wrote:

The GAD43e is quite expensive ( about £3k last time I looked ) but it provides a whole bunch of autopilot and display functionality that illuminates the need for spinning gyros, links remote indicators and presents marker lights on the PFD

… and allows the ADF to be displayed on G500/TXi as well! Although the control head for that is needed though.

Thanks!

EGTR
Sign in to add your message