Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Replacing the GMA340 in an SR22 with a PMA450A?

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Why would an audio panel need to identify anything attached to it?

In this contet, Plug’N Play is a misnomer. What they mean is that it is a drop-in replacement.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

In this contet, Plug’N Play is a misnomer. What they mean is that it is a drop-in replacement

The normal avionics term is “form-fit-function replacement”.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I can appreciate everyone’s comments, I’m on the other side of the pond so it is clear the folks here use different terminology than you guys.

And while I have heard “Form-Fit-Function Replacement”, this does no hold true with any of our audio panels. “Form and Fit” applies, but the functionality other than the basics of intercom, radio selection, power requirements, the functionality is significantly enhanced, otherwise why would anyone upgrade?

Maybe “Direct Slide In” would be a better description then “Plug ’N Play”, frankly I never thought of that. But the reason I choose Plug ’N Play is that I was hoping that it made it clear that you could just plug and play.

Another was it could be stated “Remove old, replace new, make no changes, additional, or modifications, perform check out procedure, have mechanic sing the log book, and then GO FLY AND ENJOY.”

I am learning that there is a different set of terminologies and I’m appreciative of your patience as I learn the lingo.

Sincerely,
Mark

PS Engineering, Inc.
KTYS Knoxville, TN

Mark wrote:

Thank Peter for the question.

Here are the steps required to upgrade the GARMIN GMA340 to any of our PMA8000 series or PMA450A
1) remove the GMA340 with a 3/32" Allen wrench, place in box

2) take new PMA8000 series or PMA450A and slide into old GARMIN GMA340 tray and tighten down the 3/32" wrench

3) Turn on and go through the check out procedure located in the install manual (available on our web site)

Go fly.

Sorry to break up the electrical engineering fest on here but if the above is true that is my view of plug and play avionics. What is the problem. This seems like a whole lot of semantics to me.

EGTK Oxford

Like I said regarding the GNS530{W) => IFD540, this is mounting tray and connector pin assignment compatible. It is not functionally equivalent, because it does more.
“Plug and play” is just a fashionable term borrowed from the PC world (where it often doesn’t work but that’s another story). To techy people it does imply some sort of auto-configuration.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Coming from someone who questioned Newton’s First Law, that’s an interesting obsession with ad literam interpretations of widely used expressions.

Peter wrote:

To techy people it does imply some sort of auto-configuration.

To 99.9999% of the population, it means ‘plug it in and it just works’… This discussion is semantic pedantry of the highest order!

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message