Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Replacing the GMA340 in an SR22 with a PMA450A?

How about replacing the GMA340 in my SR22 with a PMA450A? Is it really plug and play… or do I have to pray?

Last Edited by at 11 May 15:29

Dear Alexis:

The PMA450A is 100% plug n play.

We have been selling plug n play audio panels since 2004 and NEVER ever had a phone call indicating anything else.

That’s pretty good history, so its OK to pray, but not necessary for the compatibility between the two units.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

PS Engineering, Inc.
KTYS Knoxville, TN

How does “plug and play” work with audio panels?

In Windows it works by the OS having a database of motherboard chipsets and accessories, and it identifies them at boot-up. But an audio panel doesn’t have any means – that I know about – of identifying what is connected to it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank Peter for the question.

Here are the steps required to upgrade the GARMIN GMA340 to any of our PMA8000 series or PMA450A

1) remove the GMA340 with a 3/32" Allen wrench, place in box

2) take new PMA8000 series or PMA450A and slide into old GARMIN GMA340 tray and tighten down the 3/32" wrench

3) Turn on and go through the check out procedure located in the install manual (available on our web site)

Go fly.

It is just that easy. No surprises.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

PS Engineering, Inc.
KTYS Knoxville, TN

Hi Peter, on our home page, we have a graphic of many legacy products from Bendix/King, GARMIN, UPS-AT, and some ours as well.

If you have an audio panel on the left, you can Plug ’N Play with the ones on the right.

Www.ps-engineering.com

Sorry I missed the first of your question.

Mark

PS Engineering, Inc.
KTYS Knoxville, TN

1) remove the GMA340 with a 3/32" Allen wrench, place in box

I learn something every day.

Another post just to show the company name.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

But an audio panel doesn’t have any means – that I know about – of identifying what is connected to it.

Why would an audio panel need to identify anything attached to it? Would it only be in order to comply with the stricto sensu definition of PnP and justify the subsequent slagging?

Isn’t PnP accepted as shorthand for “an element will work without any needs for adjustments” anymore?

How does “plug and play” work with audio panels?

I cannot be really sure, but should think it boils down to

• fix mechanically (not really mentioned indeed)
  • plug plugs
  • play
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

To me it is fairly obvious that “plug and play” (in the normal IT terminology) is bollox in avionics. All it can mean is that Box A is identical to Box B in the tray dimensions and the connectors and their pinouts. So e.g. an IFD540 will replace a GNS530 [W] but there is no auto-configuration like plug and play traditionally does in windoze and linux etc which is implemented by systematically identifying connected products.

Do the PS Engineering intercoms even have a processor? Maybe the new ones do.

Administrator
To me it is fairly obvious that “plug and play” (in the normal IT terminology) is bollox in avionics

To IT’ers and others knowledgeable in electronics – who, alas, are getting rare here – that could be a strong point. The non-geek aviator might take “plug” and “play” literally – and be delighted.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message