Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flarm - False Alarms (Fake news!)

Hi Gang.

I was really pleased with my PowerFlarm Core installation which was installed 6 months ago (with top and bottom external antennas). All worked fine for 4 months.

A fault started to manifest itself for about 2 months ago, when I went into the circuit (I like doing circuits for some bizzare reason(s) ……(1) ….because I run the engine once or twice a week for at least 45 mins …….+ (2)……… try to land full flaps on the piano keys on the back of the power curve as slow as possible to practice for super-short Grass strips.

So….2 months ago PowerFlarm kept giving me Fake News! Non directional false Alarms, no directional information, with really close alerts…..I think at 0.1 Nautical Miles.

I think it is picking up my own transponder but in all other aspects it is working fine. I went close to two gliding sites a couple of days ago and had alerts of Gliders at 8Nm, 4NM and 3NM so useful again for identifying the pesky Gliders!

Any ideas why things have changed? These false alerts are annoying but it certainly makes you look out properly!

Last Edited by Archer-181 at 15 Apr 20:11
United Kingdom

Just to make sure – the hex ID of your transponder has been configured in the Flarm’s settings so as to be able to filter yourself?

LFSB

I have no specific advice, but find it curious that when I went flying last week with my Zaon PCAS XRX, it started doing the same thing after about 20 min flight and until arrival.

Apart from the occasional false alarm which always disappeared quickly afterwards, I hadn’t seen this ever in years of using it.

May it have to do with a changed interrogation mode of Mode S transponders around here, which mean that the response cannot be distinguished as “own ship” by our portable traffic boxes anymore? I don’t know.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 16 Apr 06:49

Thanks Solaris

It was all pre-configured by the Vendor to my specification as I wanted something “Plug and Play”. I will check that out and revert

United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message