Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why 8.33 frequencies will probably start appearing soon in the UK...

http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-Industry/Airspace/Communication-navigation-and-surveillance/Radio-licensing/Radio-licensing/

(The massive price hike on licensing fees for ground stations is a different topic altogether, and deeply annoying – Ofcom basically applied “opportunity cost” pricing to aviation frequencies despite a government report saying they shouldn’t be subjected to this, despite overwhelmingly negative responses during the consultation where they said they were going to do it – and the arrogant replies of Ofcom were basically “you can afford it, just pay up”, and despite the fact there really is no opportunity cost because the frequency band is determined by international treaty and Ofcom can’t repurpose it for something else. To add insult to injury, Ofcom basically has no staff to follow up interference reports, so airports paying these fees get absolutely zero service for the very high fees they have to pay).

Andreas IOM

This stupid proposal nearly got killed a few years ago but they seem to have managed to pull it through.

Where does the money go – into the Govt tax pot?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Those increases are a disgrace. Even swapping to 8.33, still gives a large increase. I can easily imagine many small airports deciding to drop a dedicated frequency and going to SafetyCom (like a unicom for the UK).

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

Where does the money go – into the Govt tax pot?

It goes to Ofcom. IIRC Ofcom has to make a 6% “profit” which means the spectrum regulator has a perverse incentive to add bureaucracy for the purpose of collecting extra fees. They don’t even do much for these fees, they virtually have no one dealing with interference complaints.

dublinpilot wrote:

I can easily imagine many small airports deciding to drop a dedicated frequency and going to SafetyCom

Operators of small airfields pointed this out – they’d simply drop their dedicated frequency. Ofcom’s response was “You’re profitable, pay up!”

Or given the lack of Ofcom enforcement, they will probably simply just have their A/G service just use a handheld completely unlicensed. (Although to be honest, there are probably a number of airfields that will work better with pilots self announcing rather than someone pretending to be ATC, but that’s a whole different subject…)

Last Edited by alioth at 14 Mar 15:43
Andreas IOM

The first one I have heard of is North Weald EGSX which will apparently start operating on its new 8.33khz compliant frequency on 1 January 2018

UK, United Kingdom

Oxford announced all frequencies will be changed over by end 2017.

EGTK Oxford

No wonder avionics shops are working like crazy.

The curious thing is that we aren’t getting a repeat of the “Mode S WW3” rebellion. Maybe people are tired, maybe the old protesters have left GA, and obviously everybody knows they can’t fly (other than non-radio) without 8.33. Not even down to road for a burger.

It goes to Ofcom

What does Ofcom do with all the money? Are they just creating jobs for a laugh, to spend the money? That’s what a lot of charities do but I don’t think Oftom is a charity

Administrator
You’re profitable

Here is the root of evil: UK thinking considers aerodromes to be commercial businesses. They are services, public services, but no Brit seems to realise.

Of course the thinking in Southern Europe is not really better: public services operated by civil servants are generally inefficient, and not client-friendly. Exceptions exist, though. I think Portoroz LJPZ is a good example.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

no Brit seems to realise

I think plenty of Brits do realise, but there is a complicated backdrop here.

The Ofcom thing is IMHO a cockup which sneaked in under the wire of anybody who has 2 braincells and common sense. That happens sometimes, too.

Administrator

Looking at those charges I expect every airfield in the UK will go 8.33.

Or safety com.

And as for those price rises they are significant. Has AOPA been fighting this one?

Last Edited by Bathman at 15 Mar 20:33
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message