Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Panel mounted USB chargers (merged)

be aware that USB C does not automatically mean Power Delivery

I am not sure that is the whole story.

Basically (and some info is e.g. here and here) USB can source 500mA using the 0V and +5V terminals, and this is always available on normal USB (most phones, tablets and some laptops can’t do the full 500mA) and AFAIK is available on USB-C too.

But nowadays a lot of clients won’t charge, or won’t charge if turned on at the time, from 500mA. So a negotiation procedure has been developed to get more current. A google on e.g. TPS2511 will get you the full horid details – the result of various manufacturers, starting with Apple, implementing various bodges. In fact I had a product ready a couple of years ago which would enable 800mA+ to be drawn from almost any desktop USB port, without negotiation, but didn’t bother marketing it since half of china was making similar things by then.

I have some USB-C devices which charge just fine via a standard USB to USB-C cable, but they are all small things which manage with < 500mA.

The full USB-C implementation can deliver loads of power, up to 60W and up to 20V.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi there,

I am currently reviewing some minor panel modifications for my “new” plane :) and am looking for advice:
I really would like to have a few USB power plugs to keep Tablets/phones charged during flight. I saw some Garmin units for a few hundred bucks. Do you guys have any alternatives that are worth considering?
While I would keep a power bank with me, I really would prefer adding at least two USB sockets, simply because the panel is being modified anyway for the GFC500 installation.

Best regards
Lukas

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

This and the post above it may be relevant to the choice of USB power outlets.

@lukepower post moved to existing thread

Administrator

lukepower wrote:

Do you guys have any alternatives that are worth considering?

We had the TrueBluePower TA202 installed in one aircraft. It works very well. There are several configurations available with different connectors.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I recommend the True Blue Power TA360 in USB-C PD version; this gives up to 60W per port, which is enough for some/many laptop computers and such, and very quick charging of many Android pocket computers, and “as quick as they support with any charger” for recent Apple iOS stuff (which finally supports USB PD). Or to combine it with a clock / OAT / timer / …, the CH93MAX.

I had the dual USB-C version installed; I prefer to use a USB-C to USB-A converter or custom cables when necessary, but to be more future-proof. USB-A ports do not support very high wattage per port, “only” 15W (that is 3A at 5V, which is largely sufficient e.g. for a tablet, e.g. an iPad Pro is limited to 18W anyway).

Last Edited by lionel at 23 Feb 14:40
ELLX

Presumably a suitable outlet will have to be USB-C if you want to really futureproof things. Standard USB is at most about 2A and even that tends to not work with longer cables.

I looked up the TA360. Looks pretty good.

Administrator

Wouldn’t it be more simple to have a protected 12/24V outlut et plug another car charger with suitable power?There are very powerfull ones, cheap and robust and you can change it in the futur. for a handful of euro…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 23 Feb 15:35
LFMD, France

I installed the USB chargers to offload my 24V “cigar lighter outlet”, which was using an increasingly “Rube Goldenberg”-esque series of multipliers to have multiple things connected to it.

ELLX

Thanks guys, these look good indeed.
Let’s see what lead times they have…

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Wouldn’t it be more simple to have a protected 12/24V outlut et plug another car charger with suitable power?There are very powerfull ones, cheap and robust and you can change it in the futur. for a handful of euro…

The problem is that most of the cheap cigar lighter adapters radiate like hell.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message