Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which tools / toolkit should every small GA airplane owner have for maintenance?

Capitaine wrote:

A long list from Mike Busch with some ideas: https://www.avweb.com/ownership/the-traveling-tool-kit/

Gosh! What does all that stuff weigh!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Speaking of tool bags/boxes, I am still searching for an ideal solution, but my current favourite way to pack spanners, pliers, medium-length screwdrivers, wire strippers, crimping tools, etc. is in several roll-ups (made from the legs of old jeans). They weigh next to nothing and take virtually no space of their own, are very ergonomic, and can be easily tucked between other stuff.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The toolbox I carry (details posted earlier) weighs a good 20kg, but it contains the stuff needed for the 50hr service, as well as for what might be essential access for checks when travelling. I got burnt once on a trip in Spain where I could not even get a spark plug spanner…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This:

Is worth carrying if you fly a Lycoming. It allows you to build a replacement alternator belt, without removing the propeller to install it. Often, thinking maintainers tywrap a second belt around the engine case when the prop is off, but I find that usually, it hardens and cracks from resting on the hot case before it can be used.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

That’s amazing. What is it called, and where can one buy that?

Administrator

Link belt,

Its good stuff, often used in machine drives

Peter wrote:

That’s amazing. What is it called, and where can one buy that?

Power Twist Adjustable Link V-Belt

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

This is what I carry. We used to use those link belts on Farm water pumps when I was 10 years old. I am not sure how many RPM they can cope with as I was 10!! Probably fine though

What I carry below……….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144129907277

United Kingdom

Interesting product. However I think those metal pins would do some damage to the pulleys… still that’s worth it to get home

What water pump one from Ebay would not take any power IMHO.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

However I think those metal pins would do some damage to the pulleys

The stuff I have has no metal pins, just long T link ends, each of which pass through the next two slots (as seen in the fuzzy photo I linked). It’s common for lathe headstocks, so you don’t have to disassemble the whole headstock to replace a belt. It’s reported as being remarkably durable, but at least will get you home!

Last Edited by Pilot_DAR at 18 Nov 04:01
Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
Sign in to add your message