Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random avionics internals

IO390 wrote:

The insulation between the motor wires was pulled too far back and could have shorted against the other phases.

I see that all the time. It’s not hard to do that right but almost no one cares about it. Luckily most of the time it still works as intended, unlike hydraulics which absolutely needs to be correctly done.

Mounted like that, the capacitor will eventually rattle its legs off.

EDQH, Germany

Allegedly some of the internals of a Russian Kh-101 missile. Green board looks like an Arduino (a microcontroller board used by hobbyists and for prototyping)

Andreas IOM

Gosh that looks like a real DYI job

But the Russkies were always resourceful, like knocking up, early 1980s, a binary-compatible VAX11-780 (having first obtained a real one via the Vienna Embassy “diplomatic bag” route). I was in contact with a member of that team.

What I find funny is how often one sees pics of Russian mil hardware presented as examples of ITAR-breaking, and the chip in question is a MAX232

For sure there was a huge amount of ITAR-breaking, I guess mostly via Israel or S. Africa, because the “diplomatic bag” route is not much good for high volumes. But nowadays they can get bits from China which do the job; the chinks have copied 32F407 and beyond.

They use a lot of FPGAs, which were prob100 dual use at the time but this was never controllable. 100k, no problem, a front company in the West… And some higher-end embedded processors; likewise. What was definitely ITAR were thermal imaging sensors; I looked some up (posted it I think) and they were ~20 year old parts. But today the chinks will sell you better ones; DJI moved from US made FLIR parts to chink ones which are apparently just as good.

What is the part on that metal plate?

That telegram channel https://t.me/serhii_flash is interesting if you are into RF.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s not just the Arduino. Above it are a couple of eBay DC-DC converters that you get for a few $$$ each. The only thing in there that you can’t buy off eBay or Amazon is the mysterious module at the bottom.

Last Edited by johnh at 12 Jul 09:43
LFMD, France

More from that channel

and this relates to Alioth’s post

which leads to here

For some reason this comes up. Not ITAR for sure.

The KINTEX-7 is damn expensive – close to £1000 in some versions. Interesting ITAR angles too. But in the end if some front company buys 10k of these and puts them on some fishing trawler, nothing can be done.

I just have to laugh:

Even in packaging, the defense-grade products that have a “Q” suffix in their name, are built for greater reliability than commercial equivalents. They can be configured for extended temperature ranges, they are designed for 16-year product lifetimes, and unlike the commercial products striving for lead-free production, the defense-grade products have leaded interconnect.

Administrator

Just came by this one. The Moritz instrument cluster, fitted to the very last TB20/21 GTs. Of course Moritz are gone now, like most of the old Socata suppliers, and “there is stock” out there of several pieces, at 4-5k each.

Interestingly the date code suggests 2003 which is really the very last of the TBs shipped. May have been made for Socata spares stock.

The design is a tour de force as so often. Why use 1 component when 10 will do? Utterly unbelievable load of crap, using the most bizzare parts in existence.

That chip is a pricey Analog Devices processor with ADCs and DACs

The unit uses synchro movements to drive the pointers. This is a good way to do it; better than a moving coil mechanism. It is what the UMA instruments use; my backup oil pressure gauge uses that. The movement is made by god knows who (no markings) and is the large metal cylinder here

The synchro is driven by a CS4192 which takes a 10 bit word and drives the coils directly. It is no longer obtainable except on ebay and such – example and that will deffo be a chink counterfeit.

So this unit contains at least one processor to read the ADCs and drive these synchro chips. Among a vast number of components, and some vertically mounted electrolytics which are a recipe for vibration induced failures.

It is repairable but only off the books and by salvaging parts from another unit.

Administrator

@Peter Thanks I feel a whole lot better now :-( – my plane has one of these.

LFMD, France

They come up for sale as people rip them out and put in “glass”.

I saw one not long ago for a few hundred $.

If I were you I would pick up one of those when they come up.

They are repairable (by a very skilled electronics guy) but only by replacing parts one after another, and with a risk of the whole thing getting broken and then you are totally AOG.

Administrator

Piper Moritz Corps is still going and producing aircraft dials and instruments.
Also there is a Moritz Aerospace Corps.
Which one are you looking for?

France

A nice example of shitty design on a Falcon turn coordinator.

Apply power and the red flag goes out to show the instrument is functioning, but the gyro doesn’t spin up.

This is because the motor is driven by a 7810 linear regulator, which in this case has died. But, the flag is powered by the input, BEFORE the voltage regulator! So in this case you have a dead instrument which says it’s working.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message