Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

External cameras - performance, mounting and legal issues

I am using the mounts from MyPilotPro (https://mypilotpro.com) both for GoPro and Insta360 cameras and can only highly recommend them.

Germany

@arun do you mean this

It looks like a rube/rod, held in two pipe brackets (of the type used to fix central heating pipes to a wall) and a camera mounted at the end of that.

I would have expected that to vibrate a lot, but maybe not?

Also you need to be really careful how you attach it to the wing. There is going to be a lot of leverage. It cannot go in the skin (which is maybe 0.8-1.0mm thick, only) so would have to go where there is a spar.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah Peter. You’re right I meant this setting.

A pole sticking out of the wing, I too would imagine it to vibrate a lot. It is not that there is a lot to work with on these planes when it comes to fixing things on them. Apparently, it is being done and undoubtedly provides an excellent angle for capturing shots.

I too would prefer a solution sold on MyPilotPro.

EDMB, Germany

The problem with a pole sticking forward is that it is naturally prone to oscillation.

These “leading” probes are used in surveying equipment and there are complex challenges to control the resonances.

I think this pilot installed it thus to get the camera away from the wing, but unless the lens is a fisheye, it doesn’t need to be so far forward. If you are willing to drill holes and insert rivnuts, you could do a far more sturdy and compact mount. The camera needs to be looking slightly downwards anyway; upwards is just sky.

And just because a mount is off the shelf doesn’t mean it is good A big problem with commercial mounts is “jello” – resonance between the camera’s vibration and its image stabilisation / frame rate. You see a lot of this on youtube videos.

Nothing beats a really stiff mount, with the camera close to the wing.

Some more stuff here

Administrator

Has anyone noticed some speed loss due to externally mounted GoPro?

I have one of these on my the tie-down ring.

I wanted to to install the swivel version on the vertical stabiliser, but it appears to be so bulky that I am not sure that I should.

Last Edited by Arun at 03 May 20:23
EDMB, Germany

No, not that I have noticed… but my mounting isnt as chunky as that and neither is the alternative one on the tailskid – they dont hang down as far either.

I have had them on wingtip. Expected some effect, but it was like it wasn’t there. May not be the same on anything fast!

EGTB, United Kingdom

Posts moved to existing thread.

It may not slow the plane down noticeably but it is likely to wobble in the airflow. Many flying videos have flutter (“jello”) in them. The mount is far too long. I would have the camera on a much shorter mount.

Then it needs to be adjusted so that the bottom surface of the wing is just outside the upper edge of the video.

I use the X3000 which has a significantly smaller frontal area, even in the waterproof housing. But that also suffered from jello from airframe vibration – had to be modded

Administrator

Maybe a better way to mount that camera using those fixings may be to itlt the tie-down section 90deg backward…..the camera then looks at the floor.
Then re tilt the camera up (to look forward) at the go pro mount.

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

Maybe a better way to mount that camera using those fixings may be to itlt the tie-down section 90deg backward

It took some time and two additional flat washers and get the desired angle.

And then …. I forgot to turn on the GoPro :(

EDMB, Germany
Sign in to add your message