Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Legality of handheld aviation radio in Europe

When I renewed my aircraft radio license recently, it specifically says that handhelds are included in the aircraft radio license.

Andreas IOM

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Allowed in BE. I know several instructors who have one, to guide students from the runway, especially during first solo.

I know that differently: Although not allowed in Germany, I know several instructors who have one, to guide students from the runway, especially during first solo.
Done that myself all the time – or would have in case I needed to talk to the student which I never had to – when I was still instructing PPL. Holding that thing in the hand is reassuring, both for the instructor and the student…

For some years during the 90ies I had my Icom IC-A20 officially registered in the avionics equipment list of our C421 as emergeny radio. That was a minor act then and I would have been allowed to use it on board of that aeoplane (but only that aeroplane, nowhere else!). The downside was that being on that list it was required to pass the annual inspection every time. For which the avionics company charged a little fee, not much, but enough to get it removed from the list after a few years. No idea if that would still be possible with EASA.

Last Edited by what_next at 04 Apr 12:17
EDDS - Stuttgart

" Here in DK all transmitting equipment need a permit unless it is a PMR or CB radio."

I am quite often in Denmark. At Roskilde airport I do monitor ATIS and request start up and clearance with my Icom in order to preserve the aircraft battery. Is this illegal ?

Berlin, Germany

highflyer wrote:

Is this illegal ?

I guess so.

EDDS - Stuttgart
As far as I know handhelds are OK only for ground use, not in the aircraft, at least not legal in Germany. Nevertheless many ultraligths use them there. And we certainly have one for emergency . But who knows …. Vic
vic
EDME

Loads and loads of “vintage” planes here in the UK have a handheld radio, with a headset adaptor.

In some of them it works better than in others, and the locals at EGKA will know exactly who I mean

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Loads and loads of “vintage” planes here in the UK have a handheld radio,

And quite a few smaller airfields in Germany are operated by handheld radio most of the time as well. There is always a big approved and certified ground station in their control tower (or whatever structure is used for that) but most of the time the radio operator (“Flugleiter”) will run his airfield using his unapproved handheld radio whilst seeing to other duties like mowing grass or repairing fences…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Does it really matter if it is legal or not? You are sitting in your plane and use your handheld for atis or start up? You use it in the air in an emergency.

EGTK Oxford
Ground use is no problem, but you will be in trouble to find a certified hand-held suitable for the Luftfunkstelle (aircraft) . Not in Germany, no matter, how aviation orientated the handheld may be. Vic
vic
EDME

From my CAA radio licence issued last year:

Last Edited by chrisparker at 04 Apr 17:47
Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message