Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some more app advice

blueline wrote:

My original question was about whether people consider them an accpetable alternative to Jepp charts given that the environment they are presented in (Garmin Pilot) seems to be superior as an “all-in-one applicaton” to the Jeppesen Apps.

Yes I think they are an acceptable alternative. Early on they were missing some textual data at some airport which made it hard to find the cleared altitude or next frequency for a SID. This now appears to have been corrected.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

People who pay for the Jepp terminal chart product(s) can have the own-aircraft symbol georeferenced on the plan view of the terminal chart, on both the tablet and (if they have compatible avionics e.g. GTN750, IFD540 or one of the older MFDs such as GMX200 or one of the bigger Avidyne ones) on their panel mounted GPS too. That functionality, for all of “political Europe”, is about €2000. Is this correct?

Round about, yes?

Now, let’s say you do have a decent size MFD which shows your route ahead. Where is the value of a tablet app (other than as a backup)? And how did you load the route into both?

As I have mentioned, I do not have a decent size MFD, just the GTN and the backup function was it worth several times during the last three years, when once the chart function on the GTN was suddenly disabled an enabling needs the initial Garmin datacard which I won’t take with me in flight. Or to give an other example, the approach chart don’t show up again after serval final approach course crossings on advice of ATC due of inbound traffic at EDDS; after the second crossing the approach chart disappeared. So i like to have a backup with me.

EDDS , Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

the initial Garmin datacard which I won’t take with me in flight.

Interesting view. My rule is always carry those activation cards in flight. If you get somewhere and they need to reload your software you must have them.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Interesting view. My rule is always carry those activation cards in flight. If you get somewhere and they need to reload your software you must have them.

Same here and I have set of backup SD cards for PFD and MFD (G1000) with all features I have subscription for (Terrain, SafeTaxi, etc.).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Note that the lowest cost Jepp option, about €900/year, is a single-device installation only.

About 550 €

blueline wrote:

Garmin Pilot has their own FliteCharts

Does Flitecharts includes calculated minimums (MDA / DA) ?

Last Edited by Guillaume at 07 Mar 13:00

About 550 €

That’s the “west of the Iron Curtain Jeppesen Europe” sub

It’s a con, much discussed here in the past.

Does Flitecharts includes calculated minimums (MDA / DA) ?

Most AIP charts don’t. I would be amazed if anyone found these satisfactory, but they are “free”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

Yes, I did so first, but then we lost one card an it was a mess to get a replacement by Garmin.

Emir wrote:

Same here and I have set of backup SD cards for PFD and MFD (G1000) with all features I have subscription for (Terrain, SafeTaxi, etc.).

How did you achieve to make a backup for the activation card which is really running? Mine never worked.The standard card with the terrain, enroute, safe taxi, obstacle date and the chart data does work, but not the activation card.

But anyway, when being on the final approach in IMC, if the GTN map is lost I wouldn’t try a restart with the data cards. :-)

EDDS , Germany

G1000 in my DA doesn’t have chart view, so I use Jepp FD to display plates on departure and approach. Seeing where I am on the chart is very nice. I also use it when taxiing. En-route the map is not very interesting. I usually switch to Sky Demon with it’s gliding range circle and plenty small airfields and try to spot them on the ground.

Electronic charts subscription is limited to one device. Adding another one means +100%. If you buy paper en-route charts, three electronic devices are included.

LPFR, Poland

Peter wrote:

It’s a con, much discussed here in the past.

They don’t provide coverage shown in that map?

Does Flitecharts includes calculated minimums (MDA / DA) ? Most AIP charts don’t. I would be amazed if anyone found these satisfactory, but they are “free”.

I know a lot of people who fly with AIP plates. I prefer Jepp but AIP plates work and the MDA/DA calcs are simplifiable with apps like that from Aeroplus.

EGTK Oxford

eddsPeter wrote:

How did you achieve to make a backup for the activation card which is really running? Mine never worked.The standard card with the terrain, enroute, safe taxi, obstacle date and the chart data does work, but not the activation card.

It’s not possible to make a backup copy of activation card.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message