Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

I fly to FL120 but no higher w/o oxygen for 2-3 hrs flights. But I will be very tired after the flight. I have done that in daylight only. I do carry a Pulse Oxymeter.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

I do carry a Pulse Oxymeter.

How do you use it (as in, what do you do with the number it provides)

Above FL100, for any significant flight (2h+) I feel really tired.
If oxygen on board, i would use it as soon as FL80.
Oxymeter is important when flying high enough for saturation to become a problem, should oxygen supply fail.
Otherwise, I don’t see what it brings… but I could say the same thing about most medical tests in a more general sense.

Noe wrote:

I wrote I carry it – not that I use it systematically. On O2 I want to see my saturation around or above 90% thereby confirming that I am getting oxygen and that it is being absorbed.

Without O2 I do not want to see it much below 85% – hence the FL120 limit.

LFPT, LFPN

Noe wrote:

Values above 95% are normal.
Up to 92% it means you have reduced oxygen in your blood but should still function more or less ok.
Under 92% means either get on O2 right now or descend right now.

Lowest I’ve seen was around 92 % for me at 14’000 ft (shortly after TOC to overfly a restricted area) and about 91% 15 mins later. Afte descending below 10’000 ft values came right up again. I bought my Mountain High Oxygen set before the next longer flight. With it, the lowest I’ve seen was 96% at 17’000 ft (DA22’000 ft).

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Lowest I’ve seen was around 92 % for me at 14’000 ft

That sound really high for that altitude. Look here.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 31 Mar 12:28
LFPT, LFPN

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Lowest I’ve seen was around 92 % for me at 14’000 ft

That reading doesn’t sound right, unless you have some exceptional O2 carrying capacity in your blood.

As for the original question:

- I don’t plan on going above 12k, but have been (and would be) going higher for short periods to get above wx or mountains
- no
- yes and use it to periodically check

I also carry portable O2 bottles to get a ‘boost’ if needed (rarely use them, though)

I carry and use a pulse oximeter, and I am fine up to FL130. I haven’t tried any higher without oxygen.

I have been up to FL250 on just cannula and I was fine, but my RHS’ oximeter dropped markedly and we descended.

EGKB Biggin Hill

…it is very individual, though. I spend 90 minutes a day in the gym, have not smoked since I was 17 and take an Iron supplement every day.

Others report feeling unwell at FL80, so you really need your own figures, not to ask others.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

…so you really need your own figures, not to ask others.

Yes. And when you are experimenting with that, take a second pilot with you – just in case. Personally I would not fly above FL100 without oxygen for longer than a few minutes.
When I was flying cargo on my last job in unpressurised aircraft (C 404) we sometimes ran short of our oxygen supply. When forced to fly higher (crossing the Alps and/or weather) we would take turns at using oxygen so that our tank would last for the entire flight. During those flights I spent (as pilot monitoring – or rather: pilot dozing) many hours between FL140 and FL180 without oxygen. Although I never passed out it made me feel really unwell and usually gave me a headache which lasted for some hours after the flight. Vision was impaired to a degree where one could only see black and white. I would certainly not have been able to do a decent job at flying the airplane…

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message