Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Failed EGT Probe ?

Parts number 86317 seems to have been replaced by the reference 86343 (found that on the Alcor website).

The 86343 probe can be found for 296$. Just asked if they provide the FAA8130 which my CAMO will claim.
Airpower

Really don’t want to use another part than the original one, as it will upset my CAMO. This is where we are.

@Peter wrote:

I suspect you are paying a hefty price for somebody sitting in a shed and fitting that yellow thermocouple connector to off the shelf probes. But that connector is a completely negligent choice for something which clearly need environmental protection.

Do you really think they do not offer any technical advantage ? That would be totally stupid (which I don’t neglect as a possibility).
For information, this is the first dead probe (2006 plane, 870 hrs TT).

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 15 Nov 18:07

I would just change it myself, no need to involve the CAMO…

achimha wrote:

I would just change it myself, no need to involve the CAMO…

Eyes of envy everywhere, and no hangar to hide.
For the little story, I have been denounced to the retirement pension fund for pilots, because I rent my plane (very very little), and used to give the name of an FI to learn to fly it. Anonymous letter of course.

I may fly somewhere, change the probe, and come back

I have no idea where you live, but it’s beyond my imagination that anybody could be interested in the type of EGT probe you use :-) The majority does not vene know what it IS ;-)

I have used 12 V car bulbs for the rotating beacon of my Warrior for 20 years, because I was not going to spend $ 20 for the Piper part.

The matter would be to take the cowling off.

And the CAMO may have something to say, if they find something not in conformity.

Your probe should be the standard Alcor probe with some weird yellow connection box. I’d get a new probe from JPI and wire it up the same way, keeping that connector box. My defense would be:

1. I never changed the probe.
  2. If I changed it, I was authorized to do so.

The probes are nowhere listed with their serial numbers. Whether they get replaced or not is untraceable and they have no service life limitation.

I am moving pilot maintenance posts here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
At that kind of money I would definitely not think twice and get me one or two sets of probes from far east at a tenner each. And I ´d like to see an inspector who could turn up with an argument why i should not do so. After all, it is only about egt probes: Are they air safety critical ?? Do they change weight , flight performances, mechanical properties of the structures ?? Defintely not, so no major mod or some such. In fact, they are optional, not required for operation, not fitted on most aircraft, and purely an additional means of diagnosis. If they fail in flight, even less an issue than failing spark plugs or beacon bulbs. I just can´t understand all these worries about what an inspector may say to deviations you do. First of all I would wait for real , technical arguments, before I´d change back to original ( crap for the money) . Vic

egt probe

probe

thermocouple

EGT probe

probe

vic
EDME

I have learned some interesting stuff on the McFarlane website.
I learned that different K-type EGT probes exist, grounded and ungrounded.

Grounded vs Ungrounded:
Grounded probes have the thermocouple junction welded directly to the probe shaft. They have faster response time, longer life and lower cost, but since they have continuity with the engine ground, they are susceptible to more electrical noise. This noise does not affect Alcor gauges, but can cause problems with some amplified or digital gauges from other manufacturers. All Alcor gauges can use grounded thermocouples, although some airframe manufacturers require ungrounded probes.

Ungrounded probes have the thermocouple junction isolated from the probe shaft so there is no continuity between the thermocouple and the engine ground resulting in less electrical noise. They are required for some amplified or digital gauges from other manufacturers and by some airframe manufacturers

The yellow connector (Omega style) doesn’t seem to be responsible for the higher cost.
But ungrounded probe are way more expensive than grounded ones. While they also last less longer…

So the question is: does a grounded probe will cause some trouble with the G1000/GEA71 digital gauge ?

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 19 Nov 15:49

Besides, Alcor has created a very well done document about EGT: EGT in a nutshell [local copy here]

At the end, there is a table helping with diagnosis, depending on fast / slow, increasing / decreasing, of one or several temp. Very instructive.

Sign in to add your message