Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS jamming and spoofing and relying on GPS, and GPS backup plan ?

NCYankee .. does that mean that one bad GPS device can kill all othe other ones?

Yes, but what could trigger this fault and then remove it, all by itself?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flyer59 wrote:

NCYankee .. does that mean that one bad GPS device can kill all othe other ones?

Yes. You need to find out which one causes this and then switch it off – which is somewhat difficult with integrated avionics like G1000 (i.e. you loose much more than GPS if you need to switch it off).

The band filtering of the preamp pretty much ensures that if it oscillates, it oscillates on the GPS frequency…

LSZK, Switzerland

tomjnx wrote:

Yes. You need to find out which one causes this and then switch it off

Wow, this is really good to know! While I’ve so far never lost GPS reception, I would never have thought of that remedy!

In many instances the WAAS GPS antenna is over torqued, cracking the enclosure and letting in moisture. This has been known to cause the issue. Also there was a batch of bad antennas.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Also there was a batch of bad antennas.

My GNS430W had a bad WAAS antenna, was replaced at Garmin’s expense. I will turn off the 430 next time I get the error.

This may be of interest:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2143499-ships-fooled-in-gps-spoofing-attack-suggest-russian-cyberweapon/

from a reliable source, or at least the magazine is, I dont know about the underlying source(s).

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 12 Aug 08:05

I wonder if a WAAS receiver would protect against this in a plane, if the spoofing signal comes from the ground. Or even in all cases. But probably you can also spoof a WAAS signal – a dedicated nation could even do it from another satellite.

Isn’t this what many said would happen, back when LORAN was decommissioned and eLORAN not taken seriously?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

The western military have had this capability for many years – to shift the position but the GPS receiver does not flag it.

I used to subscribe to the new scientist but it printed mostly trendy dumbed down stuff, especially if one could dig up a PC angle

I don’t think WAAS or EGNOS helps because it is a correction only. It will equally correct a shifted position.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message