Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS jamming and spoofing and relying on GPS, and GPS backup plan ?

Airborne_Again wrote:

But much more precise, you’d hope

You’d hope so, yes. The technology Avinor uses is from Saab, so you never know

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In the 90’s we used a KNS 660 which used just dme/dme.
Prior to take off you had to press a button to give it control of nav2 box. Rho-theta would then be displayed.
Once it had worked out where it was, rho-rho (dme/dme) would be displayed and you could release the button and get nav2 back.
We used it for enroute nav.
Would have thought a GA version possible nowadays?

EGNS, Other

I have not used an NDB in decades, but back in the 70s in central Texas, we used AM radio stations as NDBs – no idea if that still works, or if there even are any AM radio stations in Europe.

If GPS stops, I’ll have to stop staring at skydemon and look out the window! :D

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

There are still AM radios in the UK.

I’ve flown a dozen NDB approaches in the last few weeks.

Even heard an airliner doing them

Last Edited by Bathman at 14 Jun 18:08

we used a KNS 660 which used just dme/dme

I looked this up. Not a single actual photo on google but a 1988 Pilot’s Guide contains this

So this is an FMS without the INS This never existed for GA although Narco did some RNAV product which did something vaguely similar. But then GPS came and the bottom dropped out of the market, and about a million people became extremely unhappy and started to push the horse back into the stable, with PRNAV, RNAV, RNP, PBN, etc, etc

Would have thought a GA version possible nowadays?

Definitely; you need only one digitally tunable DME and there is a number of these e.g. my KN73, plus some software, and a database of DMEs. But by the time you certified it, it would be about 10k and nobody would buy it. A better solution would be one of the triple FOG boxes like this.

We did this before here.

Posts moved to a previous identical thread. Interesting to read back previous posts – lots of good stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Probably a photo on “save the ATP” Facebook page, flew it for 10 years and am involved with the group.
If anyone visits, I can organise a tour and nice lunch at local restaurant ( includes good veggie food!)

Last Edited by PeteD at 14 Jun 19:15
EGNS, Other

The topic of solid state gyros being used for navigation has been done here a number of times since we started in 2012.

I am just working on something which uses the ADSRS623 yaw gyro. This is now 10 years old (its predecessor the 613 goes back almost 20 years and can be seen here) and can achieve around 40 degrees per hour

More recent products are here and the small devices are no better than the above.

So the solid state business seems to have ground to a halt, which blocks progress on low cost navigation solutions. Right now one can achieve accuracy of the order of 1 degree per minute which is OK only for very short term loss of GPS.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

[Galileo] That’s funny… does it actually work now?

From my window in Luxembourg, I get 7 Galileo satellites right now, each of them over two different frequencies. To me that looks like my pocket computer would get a good fix from just Galileo, but I don’t know how (if it is possible at all) to turn its use of Navstar, Beidou and Glonass off to really test that :) Counting satellites tracked, and one of these systems would give me a fix all on its own I believe (standing next to the window; Glonass and Galileo each gives me only three satellites when I’m “really” indoors away from a window).

Last Edited by lionel at 20 Jun 15:13
ELLX

If GPS stops, I’ll have to stop staring at skydemon and look out the window!

Quite the opposite for me
I’ll be staring at the now non-moving map of SD and navigate by DR on that instead of long gone paper map.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Re my post above, these are the chips

It would be a fun project.

Oh and you also need a 3 axis accelerometer, like one of these

Administrator
Sign in to add your message