Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS jamming and spoofing and relying on GPS, and GPS backup plan ?

In the UK, they are actually installing some new DME. Like the Winstone (Gloucestershire) one installed last December or January. Not really helpful for GA though.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

Yes there is a plan.

The plan – for all of Europe – is primarily DME/DME and secondarily a skeleton network of VORs.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Does anyone actually know what the plan is? I mean a document? Can anyone post a link, or the document itself?

In 2008 I was at a Eurocontrol conference at which this was discussed.

Airlines used INS corrected by DME-DME and the backup for that was ATC radar. This navigation system is still the same today.

For GA, the backup would be ATC radar plus whatever is available.

Using VORs is not viable because while one can navigate with VOR tracking, we don’t have the “KNS80” VOR-shifting functionality these days, so one would bust a lot of airspace which would create mayhem especially in the UK with its totally mad no-prisoners kneejerk policy which shuts down large chunks of CAS according to arbitrary rules where an infringer is deemed to have a 5 mile / 5000ft cylinder around him. There would be mayhem. In other parts of Europe ATC is just as reactive e.g. with military airspace enforcement. So ATC radar has to be the primary solution.

In any situation where GPS was lost due to military action, GA would be grounded anyway – as it was in WW2 for example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Using VORs is not viable because while one can navigate with VOR tracking, we don’t have the “KNS80” VOR-shifting functionality these days, so one would bust a lot of airspace which would create mayhem especially in the UK with its totally mad no-prisoners kneejerk policy which shuts down large chunks of CAS according to arbitrary rules where an infringer is deemed to have a 5 mile / 5000ft cylinder around him. There would be mayhem.

Should this situation occur, no one could care less about GA. If poor navigational accuracy on the GA side should cause problems we would just see large increase in CAS for buffers or light GA would simply be shut down.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There is no arbitrary class system for access to airspace classes A through E, nor a relevant definition of GA that could be used to deny airspace access to specific aircraft.

Silvaire wrote:

There is no arbitrary class system for access to airspace classes A through E, nor a relevant definition of GA that could be used to deny airspace access to specific aircraft.

True, but the airliners have INS corrected by DME-DME so can continue to operate in the absence of GPS.

IFR GA would struggle – in the absence of GPS it is going to have a hard time meeting RNP standards.

VFR GA could continue using traditional methods, assuming anyone remembers how.

The over-arching point of course is that if GPS goes down for some non-trivial amount of time, it will likely be related to major global events that (at least in Europe) may well mean that precise navigation of a light aircraft is the last thing on our minds.

EGLM & EGTN

For those interested how this is done in FAAland, see here

Luckily we have galileo 😂

LFMD, France

The US has a well publicised back up plan for GPS failure

Where is this published?

Luckily we have galileo

That’s funny… does it actually work now? The history is hilarious to read, and last I looked there was almost no signal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hard to simply know, I have search without success a live status of galileo constellation.
I disassembled my stratux that can give me all the sat names in the various GNSS constellations, but I bet some android or iphone app can do it.

Edit: https://www.n2yo.com/?s=49810|49809|43566|43056|41549|40890|40545|40129|37846

Last Edited by greg_mp at 14 Jun 07:38
LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message