Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Static wicks

Cirrus do have a Service Bulletin (SB2X-23-03R1) out that covers the installation of static wicks to the SR2X product line. Unfortunately, word on the COPA forum was that they don’t solve the persistent Precipitation Static problem that some of the aircraft have (mine doesn’t). They look spectacularly ugly, so I doubt I’ll be fitting them to mine. There’s a chap on the COPA forum who has been blowing his trumpet for years about being an expert in P-Static and I think he’s working with Cirrus in some consultancy capacity now to try to improve matters for those that suffer from the problem.

Mine doesn’t have it either, no matter what i fly through, no problems.

Yes, I think the wire mesh is more for lightning protection, not for P-static, sorry.

But an SR20/22 is already bonded – it could not be certified otherwise because it would be extremely vulnerable to a lightning strike fusing the control linkages.

Does anybody happen to know how this is handled on a wood wing, steel frame fuselage aircraft like the Bellanca Vikings? Obviously these are used with IFR operations as a primary function, but I haven’t a clue how they’d do it… Nor do I know much about the subject in general.

I make my own, from crimp terminals (soldered) and thick but very flexible loudspeaker cable

There is a view that this is not legal, however…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is a view that this is not legal, however…

I wouldn’t care about such things. What could the consequence be? An inspector considers then to not be in compliance and therefore declares the aircraft to be unairworthy. That is a very extreme scenario and it could be rectified by replacing the wicks. Sensible small modifications that can be undone in no time are a no brainer. I never ask what is allowed and what not but instead try to use my own brains…

From what I have learnt, static wicks need to have a high resistance (20M Ohm) in order to work properly. A good conductor will cause arcing (St.Elmo’s fires) and terrible radio noise. So Peter, you should rework your design somewhat… In our aeroplanes, the restitance of the wicks is checked during the annual check. Typically two or three are found out of specs and get replaced every year – for 150€ a piece

EDDS - Stuttgart

Never heard of that!

The originals were just wire, too.

It does sound somehow plausible, however…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Stainless steel rope is a good looking alternative and very durable, easy to get. Vic
vic
EDME

An inspector considers then to not be in compliance and therefore declares the aircraft to be unairworthy.

In the US (Hayward) an inspector declared an aircraft at American Flyers non-airworthy because of a missing baggage net which was on the weight-and-balance sheet.

LFPT, LFPN

In the US (Hayward) an inspector declared an aircraft at American Flyers non-airworthy because of a missing baggage net which was on the weight-and-balance sheet.

Yes, so you add back the baggage net and you’re done. For that reason I would not hesitate to replace 1950s GE light bulbs with LEDs and similar things. Nobody will care and if somebody does, I can swap it back in a minute.

Sign in to add your message