Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen generators

Where is the “5A” stated?

One could do an actual measurement of the current drawn. If it is powering a battery charger then one would expect the draw to be at some “max” value and then taper off as the battery gets charged.

Aviation breakers are crap. They are thermal i.e. they contain a heater which pops it if it gets too hot. So they are very imprecise. They are mostly for fire protection of wiring after the breaker.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actually, I don’t know what the draw at 12V is.

Here is the spec sheet from the user’s manual:

Sorry, I don’t know the exact translastions for “Erfassung” means. “Gleichstromeingang” would be “direct current input”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Jan 15:10
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Also found this is the manual.

It says the breaker should at least 10A, preferably 15A…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Jan 14:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

I am somewhat surprised they can get the cigar lighter hot enough (red hot) from a 12V ~3A supply (36 watts or so). My 24V cig lighter (TB20) draws a lot more power than that.

The wording in the quote (from the POH?) in Bosco’s post 4 implies the socket is not intended for lighters but only for power plugs.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

10A Max suggests it might draw 10A. Or more likely it could mean the power supply should be rated at 10A, which suggests there could be current spikes a lot bigger than the 1-2A stated above it.

For a draw of say 2A, maybe with spikes to (say) 5A, I’d fit a 10A or 15A breaker for sure, because a (say) 10A breaker passing 5A continuously is going to get hot and will have a short life. At 2A, a 10A breaker will be fine.

I reckon this thing draws 2A and briefly a few amps more. Probably dodgy to power it from a fag lighter socket which says “3.5A max”, but it might work. Or it might trip out. Or it might blow up. The problem is that a 12V socket on a 24V plane will be using a DC-DC converter and these tend to be flimsy chinese stuff.

I looked at this in the past, probably for those Sequal o2 generators (see post #1), and the smart way to get a 10-20A DC output is to find a used DC-DC converter on US aviation Ebay, for say 100 bucks (new price probably $500), install that, and install a proper connector like a 2 pin Lemo

This is the sort of DC-DC converter I would use.

Administrator

boscomantico wrote:

OK, so it cannot be charged by a 24V aircraft? Or can it?

I don’t have my unit in front of me, but IIRC:

• according to the markings on the units itself (which differ from the manual…) the input voltage of the unit itself is a range something like “9V to 19V”, so the 28V coming out of the alternator and (unless there is a DC/DC converter) the cigar lighter port is indeed too much, but there is quite some leeway in what DC/DC converter one uses for it
  • the DC cigar lighter to DC “input for the Inogen unit” that comes with the “medical version” indeed takes strictly 12V/14V only
  • https://www.inogenaviator.com/ sell a kit containing a DC cigar lighter to DC “input for the Inogen unit” that takes anywhere between 12V and 32V
  • I had at some point found the above converter for sale on the website for the manufacturer of that converter; if someone has serious interest, I can look it up again
  • an Internet/Web search seems to indicate that other brands do such converters compatible with 12V to 24V/28V, too, e.g.
Last Edited by lionel at 23 Jan 18:38
ELLX

derek wrote:

How high will the Inogen One G5 work (assuming two people on board)?

The device weights about 2.5kg with the large battery. Each device can support one person up to 18000 or two people up to 14000. I have two units on my plane. myself.

Norway

@Peter Do you use a concentrator as your main source of O2 these days? Or are you still primarily using the Mountain High cylinders?

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

I still use the composite 48 cu ft MH cylinders (have two of them) and 2 x O2D2 regulators, as described near the end of here. Since I keep a large O2 rented cylinder at home, this works fine.

I also sometimes fly above 18000ft, and 2-up, so these low-end generators would not cope. There are units (as discussed further back) which are better but they are not cheap and draw a lot of power, and contain large “consumer grade” lithium batteries.

Historically these consumer grade generators were specced only to 8000ft i.e. for supporting a person who needs oxygen all the time and who needs to do an airline trip.

Administrator

I was playing with the idea of plugging in my previusly purchased, never used
“oxygen generator” :

it would draw around max 10A, but the risk is too high, in my opinion. I’d rather go with the battery version (and tested) Inogen, and wouldn’t risk lighting the plane on fire at 14000 feet.

Last Edited by robirdus at 20 Mar 17:23
LHFM, LHTL, Hungary
Sign in to add your message