Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen generators

boscomantico wrote:

OK, so it cannot be charged by a 24V aircraft? Or can it?

I don’t have the adapter in front of me so I can’t check the range of input voltages right now. The adapter is very standard, and I’m sure you can find one that will take 24v and convert it to whatever the G5 needs. The G5 input port looks like a typical standard laptop input, physically. Not sure what voltage it wants.

Just curious – are the cigar lighter ports in your aircraft 24v? That seems unusual since most of the devices for that standard are 12v.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

In a 24V aircraft, the cigar lighter is 24V. Accordingly, the cigar lighter itself will be from a truck or a similar commercial vehicle. Like much else on 24V planes e.g. the alternator. Almost all electrical parts on GA planes are from cars and on 24V GA are from trucks.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In a 24V aircraft, the cigar lighter is 24V. Accordingly, the cigar lighter itself will be from a truck or a similar commercial vehicle. Like much else on 24V planes e.g. the alternator. Almost all electrical parts on GA planes are from cars and on 24V GA are from trucks.

Some aircraft (e.g. the Cessna 172S) have DC/DC-converters that gives you 12V in the cigarette lighter socket.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s amazing. How much current can they deliver?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

How much current can they deliver?

The one in the C172S can deliver 10A.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My bad, actually it is 12V in the SR22 as well.

Knowing nothing about electrics, what does this

effectively mean

a) for the charging performance if the device draws 5 Amps at 12V
b) if the device draws more than 5 Amps at 12V? I guess I know the answer to that one…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Jan 12:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The answer is No and No

I am somewhat surprised they can get the cigar lighter hot enough (red hot) from a 12V ~3A supply (36 watts or so). My 24V cig lighter (TB20) draws a lot more power than that.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The answer is No and No

Could you elaborate more?

You can’t draw 5A from a source which can supply 3.5A. It may do some harm to it, but most likely the output voltage will collapse.

Administrator

Sure, but I am not „running it“ on the ship’s power, I am merely charging the unit’s battery with it.

So I would think that the charging rate would merely be a bit lower (which would be acceptable, given that the unit will rarely and rather briefly be used and there will be enough time with the unit switched off to make sure that it always starts at 100 % before using it.

That‘s unless it draws more than 5 Amps, in which case the breaker would pop.

No?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Jan 13:07
Sign in to add your message