has anyone experiance with the mx20?
cost of istallation
pro/con in usage
does it make sence at all to install?
any help etc would be graet
i do have a 430allready installed
thanks

fly2000

It’s obsolete so doesn’t make a great deal of sense for a new installation.

In terms of “fashionable avionics”, MFDs are indeed obsolete, and little or no new development is happening (though this is IMHO partly because Garmin are trying to sell the GTN750, and Avidyne have run out of money and engineering resources to enhance their many nice MFD products) but if

• you pick one up very cheaply, and
  • it was so cheap that the installation cost does not make it unviable, and
  • it does what you need, and
  • you are satisfied that the database support will continue (not so important on MFDs – I have not updated my KMD550 since 2010), and
  • your GPS screen is too small to be usable as a moving map (GNS430, GTN650, KLN94, etc)

then the MX20 or similar will give you a massive improvement in your interfacing to the aircraft / the general cockpit workflow, because your little GPS will become a text-only “FMS box” and the MFD will be the bit you actually look at during the flight. That is after all how all commercial jets have been for decades and for a very good reason.

If you have unlimited money then of course you throw in 2 x GTN750 (or GTN650 as the “keypad” and a GTN750 to actually look at), or (once they get most of the bugs out) 2 x IFD540, but not everybody is able to do that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In terms of “fashionable avionics”, MFDs are indeed obsolete, and little or no new development is happening (though this is IMHO partly because Garmin are trying to sell the GTN750, and Avidyne have run out of money and engineering resources to enhance their many nice MFD products)

There is a fair bit of development happening but not in retrofit avionics. G3000 and 5000 are wonderful. I don’t think retrofit avionics are a particularly great business. The only one which works is Nav/Com/GPS units are they are fairly simple to fit.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Dec 22:16
EGTK Oxford

Are the G3000/5000 MFDs?

Administrator

They are integrated avionics systems that have MFDs. That was my point. Standalone retrofittable MFDs are a tiny and now almost dead market.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Dec 22:48
EGTK Oxford

thanks
anyone some ideas about cost of istallation on a G-reg? Jesse maybe?

fly2000

Altough it is obsolete, I think it can offer good display value for money if you can have it complete for a low price.
Installation depends on the other equipment. Interfacing to which other equipment. MX-20 with build in GPS or as display only?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

with a 430 i had in mind!
what you suggest would be a good price to get one?

thank for all t infos

fly2000

Why not get a quote for an installation?

There are multiple variants – it looks like you are looking at some cheap one, so do check?

It’s a nice product. If you can get one put in for a few k, that’s great value. By comparison, a modern GPS with that size screen will be 20k by the time it’s in there.

People criticise MFDs the “FMS+MFD” combination is much under-rated and I would put in an EX600 if it wasn’t for some unrelated issues.

There are cheap used MFDs on the US market because people are throwing in GTN750s and (gradually) IFD540s.

Administrator
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message