Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Installing Intercom in Piper Cherokee Six

I would say 3 days is not, but 5 days for an audio box is quite a lot, especially for an aircraft which is quite simple to get access to parts behind the interior. An ELT installation for example on one of these aircraft (including antenna and remote) is typical just over a day work.

The installation of TAS (not TCAS, which is really a very different system) is a completely different job which includes advanced work on it’s own, which is often overlooked.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

3-5 days is not unreasonable for installing a full-featured modern intercom from new, or replacing one that is very different functionally.

There is simply a lot of wires to run through the aircraft. The interior trim needs to be removed to a large degree to get access, so you can spend a day just doing that – if it is to be done well. I paid GBP 12000 for a TCAS installation, at a major UK EASA 145 company, and despite this being anything but a cut-price job, the monkeys stripped the majority of the trim screws and fittings. Even now, 2 years later, I am discovering stuff they damaged. They took 2 weeks.

You also need to use an installer who understands avionics and electronics, so he avoids grounding errors which result in cross-interference, and noise pickup from stuff like wingtip strobes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Today there is no intercom in the plane. You can only connect the pilot to the radio

If you need a quick fix portable intercoms cost a negligible amount (starting at just over $100 for a two place unit). A portable intercom might be a nice thing to have around anyway for future use on other planes, and would plug into your single set of jacks. That would get you going while you considered more permanent options. Installation cost is zero.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Dec 20:11

Thanks for the answers. I have so far only asked my local shop that have done the pre buy inspection of the plane to ask the avionics shop they usually work with what an intercom system would cost. As I understood it the price was with a new Garmin 340 and 3-5 days of work which seems a lot. Today there is no intercom in the plane. You can only connect the pilot to the radio, a KMA20 TSO. I guess its really old….

Casimir D
ESVE Stegeborg

I would suggest not to install a simple intercom only, instead upgrade the complete audio system. What do they use now as audio panel? Does it only a two place intercom, not intercom at all? If it is an old audio panel you might want to upgrade that as well. Modern audio panels have many improvements of audio design / quality compared to older systems. Such as diffential inputs instead of common inputs which are far more likely to pick up noise and demodulation. See also the other thread.

The Cherokee Six is very easy to install the wiring. The GMA-340 list for 1495 USD. Even including TAX, EASA approval if applicable and labour it seems you have been quoted a large number. I would recommend you to ask more quotes, and ask how they would do the installation. Shielded wiring, isolate microphone, what would they do to prevent ground loops etc.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The only way to go is a fully fitted solution to the problem and the only two games in town are the Garmin GMA340 or one of the PS engineering products, I have both fitted in my aircraft, both have a 100% serviceability record and produce a good sound quality as well as reliable squelch.

The origonal PS1000 intercom is being replaced in my personal toy with a PS8000BT on the basis that the last PS product was so good.

While I am sure that Peter is quite correct about the Leagal position regarding fitting these products without support from the dealer network I have a lot of sympathy with the manufactures who want to guard against the type of idiots who take short cuts during Instalation, the result being customers who are dis-satisfied with the performance of the product who will make their veiws known on forums like this and / or units being retuned to the factory with damage caused by faulty loom Instalation.

It’s the old story…………. Buy cheap………….. Buy twice !!

As Sebastian G said, it is the labour costs that drive the price up and this will mean stripping most of the linings to lay the cables. The GMA340 is a much nicer piece of work.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

BTW I am not impressed with this piece of restrictive practice on that page
On On all PS Engineering intercoms a wire harness must be done by PS Engineering or a PS Engineering dealer or warranty is void.

Peter, I believe that in EC electronic consumer products warranty disclaimers are full of statements like this…though maybe more indirect…

EBST

I concur that the delta btw a cheaper intercom an full audio panel is negligible in proportion to the work labor (removing interior side panels etc….). Careful installation is required to avoid ground loops..

EBST

Hello Casimir,
nice profile picture;-)

Concerning the intercom usually the purchase price of the box is only a small part of the final price. You have to add paperwork, installation work and installation material. Wiring all six places means taking out a big part of ther interior and putting many wires.

If you do all that effort I would consider spending just a few hundred more and getting a combined intercom audiopanel device like the Garmin GMA340. We had an old six place installation based on the KMA24, PM1000 and an extension box for the rear passengers. When it broke we replaced it with a single GMA340. It is much nicer to have all things audio in one place of the panel instead of three different boxes.

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 02 Dec 11:45
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message