Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B technology and compatibility (merged thread)

NCYankee wrote:

Most likely, you are referring to a different traffic system, TIS which is a mode S product. It is often confused with TISB which is an ADS-B system product.

Thank you for that clarification, I didn’t know about this difference. The plane that I rented in 2014 then seems to only have had TIS, and the one this year had TIS-B, because this year it never announced “traffic not available”. In Europe, I think we have neither service.

The FAA has updated their install policy for ADS-B systems. The major improvement is that a field approval for a follow on installation is no longer required. This covers the case where there is an existing STC for the ADS-B Out system and position as a pair. In the past, a follow on installation required a field approval. This is no longer necessary if the installer follows the new policy.

See http://tinyurl.com/hdelh6l

KUZA, United States

Thanks much for the post.

I’m not sure I understand the definition of ‘follow on installation’. Does this definition cover ADS-B system installation for planes that aren’t covered by the approved model list of an STC?

I’m not sure I understand the definition of ‘follow on installation’. Does this definition cover ADS-B system installation for planes that aren’t covered by the approved model list of an STC?

Yes.

KUZA, United States

Thanks for the clarification.

I think the document is indirect and over-complex in saying something that should be quite simple, which is not typical FAA practice by my observation. If they are trying to encourage people to move forward with ADS-B 3-1/2 years in advance of any US requirement, I think it would be more effective if written more plainly.

It is written to provide guidance to installers.

KUZA, United States

The personnel at the Garmin dealer I’m hooked up with, one of the more active dealers, are arguably illiterate. My last three transponder check logbook stickers have used the word ‘indemnified’ where they should have used ‘identified’… It’s amusing, but I won’t be relying on them to interpret detailed FAA requirements!

PS’d to add that my ADS-B installation will rely on me, personally, understanding what is required and coordinating the hardware selection and the work. No money will be spent until that situation is pre-planned. I have the resources to do it that way, and it will be done that way.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Mar 18:55

On the project page, it says that funding was stopped on January 12. Does anyone have more information?

What would be the cheapest solution for a backup AHRS that connects to an iPad currently on the market?

According to the link the project was cancelled.

United Kingdom

Rwy20 wrote:

What would be the cheapest solution for a backup AHRS that connects to an iPad currently on the market?

How about this:

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/levil11-13528.php?recfer=19531

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message