Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B technology and compatibility (merged thread)

“See and Avoid” equipment trial planned

I was surprised to see the picture of a TB20 with the headline “see and avoid”…

With EASA wanting an STC for the Garmin ADS-B equipment in my aircraft to be enabled, I can’t see me stumping up IRO £15K just to get the paperwork done !

With EASA wanting an STC for the Garmin ADS-B equipment in my aircraft to be enabled, I can’t see me stumping up IRO £15K just to get the paperwork done !

I fully agree: if EASA/NATS/UK CAA could get this changed, I would happily pay the cost to upgrade my GTX33 to a 33ES. At the same time, I would install an ADS-B in receiver (probably the butterfly TRX1500A, displaying on the GTN). The only barrier is the paperwork cost to get it done.

Last Edited by jwoolard at 09 Feb 10:49
EGEO
I think I will get the TRX 1500 no A this year at € 1200.- , so no Flarm to buy. That should send traffic info onto the EasyVFR moving map including Flarm warning. We will decide on AdS-B out later, no S-transponder on board yet. But we will keep paper costs to a minimum for our kind of flying ……. Vic
vic
EDME

I keep coming back to the TRX1500A – with the associated wifi interface I could hook it up to both the GTN and skydemon. It would also need a toggle switch to disable audio. Apart from the two external antennae, it should be a relatively simple installation.

The biggest win for me would be to see the gliders out of Kenley – I fly right past them at least once a week, and have come close a few times.

I think I’m talking myself into this…

EGEO

After two encounters with gliders in 2013 which were much too close for my comfort I had a PowerFlarm Core installed in early 2014. It displays on a seperate display on the RH panel and via a WiFi-connection in SkyDemon on the iPad. Additionally, it is wired into the audio panel. As it is not certified for this I did not have it wired into the GTN at the time.

So far, I am happy with the hardware and the telephone and e-mail support by the guys at PowerFlarm is very good. Garrecht and PowerFlarm do cooperate very closely, their hardware is nearly identical. They speak very openly about this when you call either of the companies.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Yes, I’ve volunteered my A36 for the trials.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Does anybody know if the TRX-1500A, wired into the GTN, would then “share” this traffic data onto the Garmin Pilot App.
I know the GDL-88 would do that, but unsure if it is transferred over the GTN or feed directly.

spirit49
LOIH

I will answer my own question after talking to Garrecht.

Quote Is the TRX able to provide 2 separate Arinc429 outputs, or can 1 signal be sent to 2 different units?
Yes, the TRX-1500’s ARINC output can be split to multiple devices, thats right.

So I guess that means wiring the Arinc 429 signal to both the GTN and the FlightStream210 to get traffic data on both screens.

The TRX-1500A definitely seems like the best ADS-B IN solution for us operating in Europe, since we have none of the goodies offered on the UAT anyway.
Sending out and receiving the FLARM is also a great benefit, since I operate from a glider field, and fly a lot in glider infested airspace.

If using the bilateral agreement between EASA and the FAA on using EASA minor change approval equipment, is it enough with a logbook entry, or does this lead to the almost impossible Field Approval issue for N-regged aircraft stationed in Europe????

Last Edited by spirit49 at 16 Feb 10:25
spirit49
LOIH

I have been trying to get my head around the integration of the TRX-1500A into the Garmin GTN650 & G500 systems and as far as I can see the TRX can feed the traffic data to the #1 GTN and this will via a big speed Ethernet send the traffic to the G500 screen.

This will result in my aircraft getting an " I can see you but you can’t see me " system for ADS-B due to the EASA £15K safety tax ( STC over regulation ) that prevents me from enabling ADS-B out due to cost.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 17 Feb 09:52
Sign in to add your message