Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B technology and compatibility (merged thread)

I would agree – except that displaying uncertified ADS-B IN on panel mounted hardware, and properly merging it with Mode C/S traffic with azimuth is impossible.

It would be very doable technically (by building a protocol converter which fakes the SIL flag) but not legally.

I think displaying traffic on an Ipad is horrible, unless you have tons of room where you can mount one permanently.

The GTX345 can do certified ADS-B IN, if I understand it right, in any aircraft for which it is STCd.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

I have certified ADSB-out and a cheap portable uncertified “-in” device, which detects ADSB (including SIL=0), FLARM (via OGN), and Mode C/S (without azimuth).

Which “-in” device do you use, out of curiosity?

EGTR

Which “-in” device do you use, out of curiosity?

I use a PilotAware “classic” receiver. It sits, with Velcro, on the carpet floor of the rear baggage compartment, drawing USB power from a rechargeable battery.

I share Peter’s dislike of loose tablets and wires cluttering the cockpit so the iPad Mini is fixed to the panel and “connected” to the GTN and GMA boxes by Bluetooth.

There’s not a perfect traffic-in solution yet, but this one is cheap enough to discard whenever something better is available.One such development is PAW’s “Mode S/3D”, although that will probably only require a software update.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko, I assume GMA audio panel Bluetooth link is for aural traffic alerts?
And what about GTN, how does that work?

Thanks!

EGTR

Yes, the iPad talks to me through the audio panel offering friendly advice or “alerts” – just like a real Cirrus

The GTN talks too, but only when I ask it something like “say ETA” or “say current time”. Very comforting if feeling lonely or if I’ve got my hands in my pockets and having a power nap… On second thoughts, I think my dog has a more useful vocabulary.

An iPad running Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight can exchange flight plans and GPS data with GTN and GNS(W) boxes. That is much more useful, because it effectively turns the iPad into a touchscreen MFD, replacing the crappy user interfaces of those GPS Navigators.

Last Edited by Jacko at 04 Feb 16:40
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The GTX335 is probably quite interesting. Here’s an offer from the US:

https://www.pacificcoastavionics.com/products/3173-gtx-335-wgps-ads-b-promo.aspx

You need to get someone to install it… and fit a WAAS GPS antenna which is presumably not included in the above.

I am also told that a GTX330 can be upgraded for “not too much” to a GTX330ES which – if you have a WAAS GPS elsewhere – can do ADS-B OUT. That may be the cheapest option for those with a WAAS GPS.

Administrator

The GTX335 and 345 with the built in WAAS position source includes the WAAS antenna, but not the L band transponder antenna.

KUZA, United States

I bought the GTX-335 ‘package’ with a small trade discount for $2850. That did indeed include GPS and the associated antenna but does not include an altitude encoder. You can reuse your existing encoder but its worth considering the replacement as it is tiny and installs directly onto the transponder chassis. You remove the old unit and wiring and toss it. I’ll be reusing the existing transponder antenna.

I’m using a Stratus box for ADS-B IN instead of going the GTX-345 route, mainly to avoid any Garmin software updates associated with future upgrades, and also because the 345 is not sold for consumer installation. The 335 plus Stratus combination also considerably less expensive than the 345 and the Stratus box can be used with an iPhone/Foreflight in my #2 non-electrical aircraft which will never have ADS-B OUT installed.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Feb 18:57

Aircraft Spruce is now offering the GTX 335 kit with encoder thrown in for $2995 USD.

This is tempting but (a) my pressure altitude comes from a KEA130A and (b) if/when I get around to installing it (which will be when I can get an underwrite on the compatibility / a loan TAS605A) the installer, especially the one I am thinking of which like most of them is inundated with 8.33 work, will probably not touch an owner-supplied TXP with a bargepole

Administrator
Sign in to add your message